36” eXmark Wheels Won't Turn

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by HotPeppers, May 20, 2008.

1. HotPeppers

HotPeppers LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

I have a 36” eXmark that won’t engage the wheels. It was working fine and then all of a sudden the transmission stopped turning the axels. The engine pulley is turning freely, and the belt heats up and smokes a little but the wheels won’t turn no matter what gear I have it in. It isn’t leaking oil and didn’t make any noise until it stopped working, at which point it started to squeal. I’m looking for ideas to remedy it before I opt to replace the transmission (Peerless 700-070A). Help me out guys. Thanks

2. JosephLawnCare

JosephLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Transmission takes grease not oil.....it sounds like your tranny is shot. Consider a hydro next time.

3. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

the belt smokes its the idle pulley if the trans smokes new trans

4. HotPeppers

from Ohio

Are you saying the idler pulley is bad? It doesn’t appear to be jammed or damaged. What else could go wrong with the idler pulley?

5. hole in one lco

start your mower look under the trans make sure all pulley are moving. if your belt is smoking something is froze up

6. hole in one lco

what part of ohio you from

7. JosephLawnCare

JosephLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

hundred bucks its the tranny. The pulley should be keyed to the input shaft of the trans. not unless its a idler arm pulley, but that wouldn't stop the belt and trans from turning.

8. LarryF

LarryF LawnSite Bronze Member

That has happened to mine. It was the belt that runs from the engine pulley to the pumps. It jumped off the engine pulley and was on the pulley hub so that with the engine turning, the belt wouldn't turn but the hub spun under it so that there was a slight burning-rubber odor. I thought I would have to replace the belt, but it wasn't really destroyed and I reused it. All I had to do was put the mower up on jackstands, crawl under the mower, compress the belt-tensioner spring, and then put the belt back on the engine pulley. My Exmark dealer told me there is a kit that goes for about 50 bucks to prevent this from happening. I think the kit is comprised of a new spring, a cogged belt to replace what came with the mower, and some miscellaneous hardware. But he didn't have it in stock, so I thought I'd just wait until next time it happen, if it ever does.

Your problem might be similar.

9. HotPeppers

from Ohio

Thanks for the replies. I had another minor emergency last night that kept me from following-up with my situation. I have looked under the mower while running and only the engine pulley is turning. The idler pulley isn’t and the transmission pulley isn’t either. Assuming it is the tran, how difficult are they to repair or replace? Does it require any special techniques or tools? Thanks

10. LarryF

LarryF LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't quite understand what you wrote. The engine pulley is spinning but the idler and transmission pulleys are not.??????????? Is the V-belt inside of the V of the engine pulley, the idler pulley and the transmission pulley? I presume the belt isn't broken, or you would have reported that too. Can you remove the belt with the wheels off the ground and manually turn both the idler and the transmission pulleys? In order to get the belt off, you'll have to compress the spring attached to the idler pulley, which is not a difficult thing to do.