36" Belt or Hydro

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by gator10277, Jul 17, 2007.

1. gator10277

gator10277 LawnSite Member

Looking at either a scag 36" belt or hydro walkbehind. Need something faster than 21" for small yards and akward hills. Already have 48" tiger cub, but it is limited on hills in drainage areas. I believe the walkbehind will perform better and permit me to take on more commercial sites that have large retention pond areas.

2. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

get a hydro for sure, more power more pull less problems.a 14hp kawi on a 36'' hydro would be a great mower

3. gator10277

My dealer has a 16hp 36" for 4629.00, sound like a good deal?

4. N.H.BOY

N.H.BOY LawnSite Bronze Member

Im guessing that is new.. GO used if you can. Hydro for sure alittle more pricy, but alot better.

5. gator10277

Hard to get used equipement here. If you do find it, it will be a decade old and since we have lots of sand you know how the deck are.

6. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

Your hands will love the hydro,easier to back up with, better when grass is wet.THE belt drive will slip in rain.

7. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Get the Toro T-bar w/turbo force deck and Kaw 15hp v-twin belt drive. You can get it for around $3000 and the belts won't slip even when its raining, I know because we have used both of our 48" belt drives in the rain several times this season and the T-bar steering is the best out there. Hydro's are great if your going to be mowing steep hills in the rain and the reverse is better than the belt drive assist but thats about it.

8. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

dont get a scag, the controls suck.. get a toro tbar system is you can. you wrists and hands will thank you, and you wont be sore at the end of the day. plus u can steer with one hand. i mowed almost an acre today with one hand on my tbar system.

9. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

i wont rip on the toro because i have never run one but i love my scag, when its adjusted right i could use no hands:laugh: if that price was for a new mower i would go for it thats ALOT of hp it would pull you on a sulky no problem if you get one. So far in this bus. i have found it more important to get a quality machine you like and want then to moan over a price, yo will make your money back 20 times over so don't get hung on a few bucks

10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Yea ln the toro you have to push all day long to make it go and the Scag is just the opposite only when you turn do you need to actuate the handles obviously most of these guys don't know how to adjust belt dirve.