1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

36" Bobcat crabbing, How come?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Az Gardener, Nov 3, 2005.

1. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I just bought a used 36" bobcat and it is not going straight I don't know if it's the nature of the beast or A problem. I checked the air pressure in the tires with a digital gage and made a 2 lb correction and it got better but it still moves 6"-8" to the right in about 12-15 ft. of distance . This is on concrete without the blades engaged. It is an older model, belt drive with two new belts. Any Ideas anyone? Would sure like to use it tomorrow but my lines will look like I'm drunk for sure. !'st cut on some new rye grass.
  2. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like you need to adjust the tracking rods. That should cure the problem.
  3. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

look at your jackshaft pulley its not a big dollar item let ME know what that dose for you their is more you can do
  4. davidcalhoun

davidcalhoun LawnSite Bronze Member

Put a level on top of the tire and use a tape measure to check the overall height. Sometimes a tire will not be the same height as the other one when filled.
  5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, what David said. You can also check the diameter of the tires too. They shouild be the same. If that checks out try replacing the final drive/clutch belts.

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

If the machine was used as a bagger this will cause more wear on the right than the left. More so with a belt drive than a hydro. Try to adjust it out, but there isn't a machine made that will track straight by itself. Ruts,hills,different types of grass, blah blah, all affect tracking and the operator has to make minute adjustments every other second. Your problem doesn't sould all that bad. IMO work with it.:)
  7. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Start with basic 101.

Jack unit up and rear wheels to see if they both spin freely or if one has more drag than the other and adjust accordingly.

When you squeeze pistol grips are pulling handles the same amount of distance?