1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

36" Dual Hydro - What Would You Do?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by VT_Grassman, May 11, 2010.

1. VT_Grassman

VT_Grassman LawnSite Member
    from Vermont

I need to replace a mower fairly quickly and have the following choices from dealers - some close, some not so close - and BOP. (Exmark and Toro are WAY out of the budget.)
    a) I WILL be mulching but left the mulching kit price out for all these mowers.
    b) BOP availability may be a problem as I understand it is now 3+ weeks.
    c) Electric start is not available on the Bobcat

They are listed from highest to lowest price in this list:
    Ferris - "Comfort Control DD" (15HP KAI) - $4900
    Bobcat Hydro w/DuraDeck (15HP KAI) - $4499
    BOP Dually 36 (15HP KAI) - $3395

Do you agree with my ranking for quality of cut (for all conditions)?
    1) Bobcat
    2) Ferris
    3) BOP

I really like the crank handle for adjusting cutting height for the Ferris but the price is a killer! They don't have a 36" model in the Hydrodrive line - which has no e-start and regular operator presence controls instead of the sensing ones - only a 48. That's too big for my requirements.

Any and all feedback is appreciated -
  2. D Fricks

D Fricks LawnSite Member

Check out the Snapper Pro Hydro walkbehind same machine as ferris but alot cheaper Ive got the SW30 52'' deck great machine very smooth and a very good cut............
  3. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

Great machine for the price. I couldn't be happier with my decision to buy one. A 48" is $4200 base, so I'm sure a 36" might be a few grand cheaper.
  4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I also agree we have the 36" size Snapper Pro and like it a lot. It is just like Ferris except it doesn't have electric start but I think that is a plus. The Kawaski starts real easy.
  5. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, check out the link in my signature to see how well a 48" Snapper Pro cuts. I'm sure a 36" would leave just as nice of a cut.

And I can usually get my 48" started in 1-3 pulls, depending on how cold, etc.
  6. zanemoseley

zanemoseley LawnSite Member

Why is Toro out of question? I got a 40" hydro wb w/ floating deck and pistol grips for $3950 last year and so far love it.
  7. VT_Grassman

VT_Grassman LawnSite Member
    from Vermont

I'd prefer to stay away from pistol grips for comfort reasons. I was quoted $5,600 for the Toro 36 hydro w/T-bar controls. I know the controls on the Ferris (and Snapper) DO use pistol grip type controls but the "cruise control" bar allows you to adj the max speed so you aren't really using the full range of the squeeze all the time.

I looked at the Snapper online and agree that it is basically the Ferris w/o e-start. Closest dealer to me is about 60mi. It is a possibility -
  8. zanemoseley

zanemoseley LawnSite Member

The Toro pistol grips use the same kind of "cruise control", you set the speed and the pistol grips will only go out as far as you set it.
  9. MikeKle

MikeKle LawnSite Platinum Member

Geez, I only paid $5500. for the huge 61"/23hp ferris DD last year, and they want $4900. for a 36" now?! That is crazy! Ferris does have a good cut quality though,and they will hardly ever clog, even in tall thick stuff. I think this is due to no front baffle on the deck, but who knows?. Ive never operated the Duallies, but lots of guys seem to love them.
  10. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member