36 encore vs 42 mini fastrak

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by bstroman, Dec 10, 2006.

1. bstroman

bstroman LawnSite Member

Just starting out. I have about 10 properties already and just finished year with a sears 42 inch mower (plan to sell it). Dealer has a year in clearence on encore 36 belt drive for $1899. I beleive this is a great price, however he recommended the mini fastrak again. 42 inch for $3500 with kohler.

1. How quick will a 36 cut a yard with velke and is it worth buying a belt drive for flat properties. I do not have any hills yet.

2. Is the mini fastrak really designed for light commercial use. If so maybe it would hold up for a few years.

3. Most important, cAn I really gain that much extra speed from a 42 zero turn vs a 36 belt drive.

I AM SORRY BUT I NEED HELP. I WOULD LOVE A HYDRO WALKBEHIND BUT CAN NOT SEE PAYING THAT MUCH FOR A MOWER TO START OUT WITH. THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR THE HELP.

2. W.L.S.27

W.L.S.27 LawnSite Member

#1... The Fastrak comes with either a 44" or 52" deck. Would you be speaking of the MINI Fastrak (36" or 42")?

#2... What size are the properties you service? do any of them have gates or fences where a small size deck is needed to fit?

If you answer these I can help you answer yours....

-Chris

3. bstroman

bstroman LawnSite Member

Yes The Mini Fastrak With 42 Inch Deck

Most Of My Properties Including My Own Yard Are About .5 Acres.
    I Do Have One Property That Is 2 Acres, But Just One. Also This Mower Will Be Used For About 10 Properties And For My Own Yard.

4. Military Lawns

Military Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

I just started out maybe two or three months ago and I have 20 lawns. I purchased a Toro 48" w/b belt drive pistol grip w/sulkey for roughly $3000.00. At first I thought that was too much money. However, this is part-time for me so, the fastest and cleanest cut possible was a necessity for me. I chose the Toro because of price (sulkey and two sets of blades were free) and the reputation of the dealer and the machine itself (always been a Toro fan).

In my opinion the dealer will make or break you in this business. So, whatever you decide and there are a lot of good mowers out there, make sure the dealer stands behind his/her product. So far as the investment goes, "it is better to have, then not have and to need". In other words, if you plan on expanding buy something that your business can grow into. If not your capital budget for equipment will increase and profits will fall if you are not careful.

:weightlifter:

DJ-

5. W.L.S.27

W.L.S.27 LawnSite Member

I am going to agree w/ Military Lawns. Make sure your dealer will stand behind your purchase. If it were my decision I would go with the W/B and save some money. Wait until you have several other large properties to justify the purchase of a ZTR. You should still be able to complete your 2 acre account in a decent amount of time.

-Chris

6. bstroman

bstroman LawnSite Member

do the 48 belt pull a sukly ok. I was worried about reversing and things like that with the walk behind. I am just not sure that a mini fastrak would hold up.

1. I am a pretty strong guy is the belt drive walk behind that hard to control with a sulky.

Sorry guys for so many questions just want to make the best researched decision.

7. stumpjumper

stumpjumper LawnSite Member

I have zero experience with a walk behind and velke so I won't comment on that. I have an 06 mini fastrak 17/42 that I've used for 1 season with 2 small problems which the dealer took care of immediately. I have 1 backyard and 1 customer that pays almost double[he doesn't like riders] that I mow with a selfpropelled 22". When it's a 105 degrees ain't neither one of them worth it. I hardly break a sweat on the mini, something to think about since you're in Texas.

8. bstroman

bstroman LawnSite Member

Good thought just wonder if the fastrak would hold up for 3 or 4 years to light commercial use. All in all I would love the price one the hustler I could almost use it then upgrade in a few years.

9. stumpjumper

stumpjumper LawnSite Member

If you can wait 2 years I'll let you know. I'm gonna use the mini till it's wore out just to see how many hours I get out of it.

10. bstroman

bstroman LawnSite Member

Figure you can wear out to of these compared to a full commercial unit.