36'' exmark ECS??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Petr51488, Aug 20, 2004.

1. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Hey, i was looking into getting a 36'' exmark metro for early next season. One thing that caught my eye was the ECS. I've never used it and would like to know if its worth getting, and how much about it would cost. The dealer quoted me 2499 for a 15 v twin kawi. I also wanted to get the sulky on it along with a bagger. I would like to know from you guys that have the ECS, if its worth getting, or stick with the pistol grips.

2. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

In a word, FRIGGINAYE!

3. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

I have pistol grips and I have ECS and I will use the ECS every time as it is much better IMO. Your hands are inboard so you do not hit trees and fences as much and with the velke you are forward more and it just feels better. To me it is just a more natural feel. I have a Toro proline with the pistol and I think I will switch to a ECS set up on it this winter because I like it so much better. By the way, you will love the Metro.

4. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I run a 36" Metro with pistol and a 52" TTHP with ECS, both with jungle wheels. I would definitely say ECS is the way to go. The benefits of ECS is not that much profound on belt WB but when you step up to hydro, it is truely one mean system. I honestly say that I can ride on ECS/hydro/jungle wheels all day without getting fatigued like I do on belt system.
    Truely, pistol is thing of the past and ECS is the future for sure !

5. Doc_77

Doc_77 LawnSite Member
    from IL

i just bought a viking 36 hydro with ECS.
    I LOVE IT ! :)
    the controls are very easy to learn with a little practice.
    the only bad thing i can say about it is ...
    my hands get very tired with the ECS grips. pulling in the grips for neutral and revers is very tiering after a while. the tension on the levers is extremely tight ! a friend who tried my mower was having problems with tiering out also. I'm hoping as i use the machine the levers will loosen up. but as of now it's a pain in the @** !

6. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Doc. I do not know how but I have heard that you can adj. that. Ask around

7. Doc_77

Doc_77 LawnSite Member
    from IL

i think i know how to adjust it, i was just looking at it. I'm bringing it in to the dealer today to adjust the deck hight. so i will ask. i learn better by watching, so i want to see the mechanics do every thing before i try it myself :)

8. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

On Vikings, we just use spacers to change deck height. Takes about 20 seconds. Just do the front and you'll be fine. You can also fine tune it by using spacers on the blades. Viking is a darn good machine, we have one over 12 or so years old.

9. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

So i guess ECS is the way to go then.... Thanks for the oppinions...

10. WoodBrothersLC

WoodBrothersLC LawnSite Senior Member

When we're not mowing our yards, the friend we work for owns a 36" VIking w/ ECS and making the switch from pistol grips to the ECS controls hurts my hands a lot. This is probably because i started out on pistol grips. Definately try it out though.

-Mark