36" exmark walkbehind problem

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by straightlinelawns, Jul 6, 2004.

1. straightlinelawns

straightlinelawns LawnSite Member

i own a new exmark metro hp 36" walkbehind with the 15 horse kaw. it is a great machine and love it to death. but latley i have noticed that when i cut bermuda grass it will leave a little trail of uncut grass next to the rear right tire all the way down the lawn. kind of hard to describe but looks like a mohawk left on the lawn. i will post a pic of it sometime soon. i have overlapped the mower on each path to try to compensate for this problem but still does it. i thought maybe the tire was pushing the grass down and the blade wasn't cutting it and when the grass stands up straight again, then you notice it because it is longer than the rest of the lawn. any help would be great!!!!

2. BillyRgn

BillyRgn LawnSite Member

the baldes might be dull because on my 48 exmark wb it will leave strips if the blades are dull

3. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

I just took my 52" exmark in for service today for the exact same thing.My middle blade did not seem to be cutting and my mower would make a loud squall noise when I hit tall grass. I just sharpened the blades so I dont think that would be it. I think on mine the pulleys are wore out But you said it was new so maybe your blades are dull. How often do you sharpen your blades?

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Are you mulching?

5. straightlinelawns

yes i am mulching but this problem has been going on before and after the mulch kit. i haven't sharpened the blades since i bought it. but when i put the mulching kit on it, i did notice that the blades weren't even sharp before i put them on( the mulch kit comes with mulching blades and it was a brand new kit). but that is weird becasue the new mulch blades should be sharp right?

6. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

not razor sharp... have you checked your tire pressures? when you engage the blades, does the lever lock into place firmly or is it soft?

7. straightlinelawns

yeah i cheched the tire pressure and its the same in each tire, but when i engage the blades it makes kind of a squeaking noise for a brief second before it totally engages like the belt is slipping but that might be normal???

8. yz250fpilot

yz250fpilot LawnSite Member

The squeaking noise for a brief second is your belt slipping. Try slowing down your lever movement when you engage the blades, and do it at a lower rpm, and it will disappear.