36" Ferris Belt Drive Walk Behind

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by howardsells2000, Apr 5, 2006.

1. howardsells2000

howardsells2000 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm new to the business. I have 3 mowers, 52", 36" and 21". Most of my lawns are small and about 1/3 have fenced yards. I have been trying to use my 36" more often but it seems like it takes more time and effort. It's a belt drive. Most of the professionals on this site seem to think the 36" is a good mower for getting through gates. That's why I bought it. But today I just used my 21" and things seemed easier. Maybe I just need more practice with the 36".

2. howardsells2000

Anybody there?

3. mrbray101

mrbray101 LawnSite Senior Member

why does a 21" seem faster? Generally the biggest mower you can use is the best method but if a 21 is easier for you then why not? What seems difficult on the 36"?

4. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I would use the 52 where ever you can and save the 36 for gated backyards. I only use a 21 where a 36 won't fit and it is to much area to cut it with the string trimmer. JMO

5. howardsells2000

I know the cutting size is bigger so it should be faster but it seems like more work getting the 36 through the yards. I have to get around swing sets, tables, flower beds and such. I think I should have bought the 36 hydro instead of the belt drive. I don't want to complain but I was just wondering if anybody else feels like this. I think tomorrow I will use the 36" again. Maybe I just have to get used to it. I am a man, I will adapt. No mower is going to kick my butt.

6. mrbray101

mrbray101 LawnSite Senior Member

Just use it as much as you can and eventually it eill be second nature and you wont have to think twice about maneuvering it around the yard. I hate using the 21", when i first started for about 2 months I used a push and got tired of it very fast so i bought a used walk behind. Just keep using it and it will become very natural eventually and a great time saver. Save the 21 for really tight spots.

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We do small yards and switch to hydro a few years ago and they work well. But this year we bought a 36" Wright Sentar Sport stander/rider and are simply amazed how much this improved our efficiency. We think we can go from a four man crew to three on the trucks and that would save us $15K in one year.