1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

36 Grandstand or 36 Turf Tracer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mastruck04, Apr 22, 2011.

1. mastruck04

mastruck04 LawnSite Member

I'm about to pull the trigger on one of these. I'm leaning towards the GS, but I still haven't made up my mind.

What are your thoughts? the good, the bad, the ugly.

2. Southern Pride

Southern Pride LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Memphis

Man that's tough. Obviously the Grandstand has the upper hand. I wanted a grandstand, just not for 6-7k and I got interested in the TTHP so I bought Toro's version of that. The Hydro's allow for the reverse so I can use it just like a ZTR and that's what attracted me to it. It has a two wheel sulky I can back up fine with too but the grandstand has that platform that's obviously wayy better than riding a sulky. I believe rider fatigue would also be far less on a grandstand rather than riding around on a sulky. Not sure why that is but it makes sense.
  3. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

Where are you from? I have a 36" Grandstand that I am seriously considering selling. It is in very good condition. There is less than 100 hours on the engine and I could save you a couple thousand off of new.
  4. mastruck04

I'm in St Louis MO. PM me and see if we can work something out.

My other question is, I weigh about 260 or so. Will the front end be off the ground on this thing.
  5. mastruck04

Anyone else have any input?
  6. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

we just this week bought and used a 36 granstand. WOW, that is a serious and able machine. very productive for a 36. worth the money
  7. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

My 36" Turf Tracer is over 7 years old, never been in the shop once for repairs, leaves the best cut of any mower I've ever seen (not just used, but seen), and is much more maneuverable than a grandstand, being that you can easily lift the deck to go over roots, hoses, etc. by simply pushing down on the handle bars. 100's of hours, and all I've done is maintenance.
  8. BigMike450

BigMike450 LawnSite Member

I'm 300 GS will wheelie on occassion but if you get used to it it's preventable.I have weight kit on my 48 GS don't really wheelie unless I want to on purpose.
  9. LALawnboy

LALawnboy LawnSite Senior Member

This ^ is why I'm not sold on stand-ons being more efficient. The amount of times I'm lifting up the mower going over uneven terrain, cypress tree knees, or any other obstacle would make a stander unusable for me. At least on riders you have the foot pedal. But how in the world do you lift up with a stander?
  10. fastlane

fastlane LawnSite Senior Member

It depends on what other mowers you have. You can get the TT anywhere the GS will go. but not the other way around.