1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

36" HD Walk Behind or 36" ZTR

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Husky03, Aug 13, 2004.

1. Husky03

Husky03 LawnSite Senior Member

Alright, I posted a thread about which belt drive WB to get and all I keep gearing is get a hydro. You guys were great and helped me out a lot in that thread. For the cost of a 36" hydro WB I could get the Hustler Mini Fastrak zero turn. If I wait until after fall I will have plenty of money to get the Hustler if I choose. It is $3700 at my dealer. I have also looked at the Gravely 34Z, but I would get much better dealer support with the Hustler. If I got the Hustler it will be my only mower besides my push, I will NOT have a separate WB unit for hills, uneven terrain, etc. I do not mow and large lawns with hills at this time anyways. Would I be able to get by with a small zero trun only and no walk behind to get me started? I appreciate any help.:)

2. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

I know that many here say how important a dealer is, and the dealer is important...but when you compare the Hustler Mini-FasTrak and the Gravely PM34Z, you are talking apples and oranges !

While Hustler' SuperZ is arguably THE best ZTR available, the Mini-FasTrak is strictly a homeowner unit. I does NOT have a commercial quality hydraulic system.

The Gravely, on the other hand, is a commercial mower in every sense. It has HydroGear pumps and HydroGear wheel motors, the same as used on most of the commercial ZTRs on the market today. It has a 5.5" deep, 7 ga. deck...it's only limitation is hills - don't plan on mowing across an incline steeper than 18 degrees- though it will mow most any hill that any other ZTR will mow up and down. And that 15 Kawi is a sweet engine! And, it will actually pass through narrower passages than the Mini-FasTrak, by a fraction of an inch:)

3. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

4. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

just another thought, you could buy a gear drive now and get the smallest size deck that they offer and then maybe a year down the road you could buy a Z that has a 52" or 60" deck and then the gear drive could become your trim mower. btw, do you have a ferris dealer near you? the 32" hydro cut has an msrp of 2,750.

5. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

get a 36" wb with a proslide.. there is virtually no point to get a small (< 52") ZTR. they're meant to cover lots of ground. not small back yards.

6. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

BSDeality, I hear guys say that all the time, but....Where's the logic?

A hydro WB costs as much or MORE than the PM34Z.

The purpose of a small mower, WB or Z, is small gate access...the PM34Z will go through gates that measure 36" from inside post to inside post...I measured for myself and passed through with a 34Z when I demoed it. A 36 WB would NOT have gotten into this back yard.

I have 3 (THREE ! ) 1/4 acre back yards with these 36" gates as the only entry !

A ZTR is faster than a WB, velke or not!

A WB (work behind) will work you to death; a ZTR will not.

The only advantage of a WB, as I see it, is more hillside ability.

I am open to correction, but this is what I have experienced.

Steve

7. cward

cward LawnSite Member

Buy the equipment your business can afford and that it needs. A hydro may be down the road. Nothing worse than working to pay the bank. I use a 34Z and can't imagine not having it..EVER. I agree with Tider6972, the ZTR is much more forgiving on the body over time.

8. Josh18

Josh18 LawnSite Member
    from AL

If hills aren't an issue, I would deffinately go with the ztr. This year was my first and I started with a 32" metro, pistol grip. Now I have a Lazer ct, I can't believe how much energy I still have at the end of the day. They are so much easier to use and deffinately quicker. You might want to look into the Lazer CT. I know some people say it's not commercial, but it comes with the full comm. warrenty and exmarks website refers to it as being a great for estate owners or commercial use. You could probably get a 48"/18 horse CT for around $4800.

9. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

the z's are horrible at hills or anything resembling hills. I would never go in business without a walk behind. The WB is just much more manuvuerable and agile than a Z. a Z should be a second machine IMO

10. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

If you dont have any hills then by all means get the gravely 34Z. We have a lazer hp 48", new 34Z and a 36" scag wb. Guess which mower only get's used on 1 lawn a week out of our 70 lawns. Yup the 36" wb. And thats only because it has a steep hill. The 34Z is powerful and produces a very nice cut.