36 inch mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MudslinginFX4, Apr 17, 2005.

1. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

This topic has come up over and over again... but I'm going to start it one more time. I've looked around, but haven't found any up-to-date answers to the questions I have.

I'm going tomorrow to buy a new 36inch mower, I am in dying need of a new one for about 15 small accounts I picked up and I feel like my current dealer is ripping me off on this one.

I've pretty much narrowed down the mower to a 36 inch Toro 15hp Kohler E/S hydro, so thats not my question. My question is the price. The dealer is trying to get a lousy $4698 out of me for this mower BEFORE tax. I didn't even pay that much for ANY of my 52 inch units. Is this price correct? I was thinking more in the lines of $3200-$3500, so I was really stunned. If this price is correct I'll go ahead and buy it. If not, I'm going somewhere else.

Any commets would be appreciated. Also, my guys hate the T-bar on the Toro 52'' units I have, would you go with pistol or T-bar? It seems like the T-bar is no good on hydro units.

2. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

Off the top of my head I would say its about a thousand high. Maybe more. Check another toro dealer just to make sure. Maybe check out another brand or two just to make sure. That really does sound high.
  3. 2tall

2tall LawnSite Member

I believe the Ferris 36 SD Hydros are around $3500. Does sound like your dealer is a $1000 to high.
  4. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

that price sounds about right. in fact, it's cheaper than what I would pay here.
  5. bplawncare

bplawncare LawnSite Member

buy a ferris or exmark i dont like the toros
  6. johnnyusa

johnnyusa LawnSite Senior Member

Toros are a nice machine. I was in your position 2.5 mos. ago was gonna buy the 52" toro t-bar. My friend has a 1999 52" toro T-bar belt . The machine is awesome.Nice and light easy to handle. When I went to the dealer To Buy it ,There was a huge difference . The new one was a tank it had weights hangin off the back for balance. The mechanic there was showing me around, said the Exmark is alot nicer machine all the way around. If your like I was I would look around at other machines ( Exmark, Also Gravely Now makes a great mower ) I ended up w/ a Exmark Tthp , Couldn't be happier so far. Best of Luck John
  7. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

I already put an order in for a 36-inch exmark TTHP and to my amazement its like 4400 the hydros with floating decks cost a fortune. The ones that really stun me are the full size turf tracer with 60-inch decks they are like 7000 for that price I can get a lazer HP and ride.
  8. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the info guys! I am going to try and look at the exmarks too. I will do something tomorrow or Tuesday, I've waited till the last minute to start looking around, so thats why I was leaning towards the Toro b/c I already have several. If I had time I'm really interested in finding out more about the Hustler. Anyway.. ill keep you up to date what ever i decide.
  9. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

No more than 4000 if fixed deck. I got mine with mulch kit and extra blades for 3600 last year. I know steel went up and so did mowers. Talk him down. Put it to him straight.
    Sir dealer. I have check prices with another dealer within 40 miles of here. I find that he will sell me same machine for x amount lower than what you are quoting me. I appreciate the service that you give us and would like to continue business with you. Are you able to meet his pricing?
    Most americans will bow to what ever if asked a direct question.
  10. Big Hoss

Big Hoss LawnSite Member

Hustler has a 36 inch walk behind if you are wanting a quality machine that will be running when you retire.