36 inch vs. 48 inch walkbehind

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by boatdude, Apr 24, 2005.

1. boatdude

boatdude LawnSite Member

Hey guys. I would appreciate you thoughts on a 36 inch vs. 48 inch walkbehind that would just be used personally on two separate properties. A 36 inch would be easier to store and transport between the two properties but I wonder if I would lose too much efficiency. The one yard is approx 3/4 acre with a house that has contoured flower beds around it. Also, in the yard area there are very large evergreens that I need to cut around. The second yard is about 1/2 acre. There is limited flower beds and trees that need to be trimmed around. The whole yard is on a slight slope. I know it is hard to say without seeing it but what does your experience suggest would be the better size and what do you think the difference in cutting time might be between a 36 inch and a 48 inch?
    Thanks.
    bd

2. David Grass

David Grass LawnSite Senior Member

It seems like magic to come close to cutting in half going from a 36 to a 48. Get the 48, then when you use it, give yourself a hug.

3. boatdude

boatdude LawnSite Member

Thanks David,
    I thought that might be the case. The 48 inchers that I have looked at (in dealer showrooms) seem like enormous machines. Maybe they don't seem as big once you get them out side.
    Thanks.
    bd