36" Metro Cut

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by nu83, Sep 14, 2002.

1. nu83

nu83 LawnSite Member
    from omaha

I just bought a 36" metro fixed deck with the Kohler engine. I have never had a fixed deck, a 36" or an Exmark mower before so I didn;t know what to expect. It cuts uneven, a little lower on the left side, I checked under the deck and it looks to be even. I know it is a much cheaper mower than what I am comparing cuts too, is it a problem with the blades, how do I adjust them, or did I expect too much from a $2500 mower? What is the diference in cut between the fixed deck metro and say the Turf Tracer? My new metro doesn;t stripe at all, anybody else?
    Thanks
    Dan

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Dan,

No problem. The great thing about the Metro is it's pretty basic and your dealer or we can usually trouble shoot them in fairly short order.

First thing to check is always the blades, are they straight etc. You should also line the blades up tip to tip and verify that they are at the same height. Then make sure that you have the exact same spacer configuration on the blades. If you’re new to this machine you may not be aware that the blades can be manually raised and lowered in the cutting chamber. This is accomplished with a set of spacers or thick washers that should already be on your mower. You remove the blade and blade bolt and move the spacers to the top of the mower deck or between the spindle shaft and the blade on the underside of the deck. Just an FYI most cutters will tell you the mower cuts best with at least two spacers between the blade and the spindle shaft. After than you need to check to see if the spacers are set up identically for each caster. The last thing to check and re-check is the rear drive tire circumference. Check the air pressure in each side then measure around each one to ensure that they are with in 1/2" of each other. Take a close look at the front caster tires as well to make sure that they appear to be the same size. I suppose it is possible to have one a little smaller or larger although we've not seen that with the new tires.

You might also want to let me know what axle location you have the rear axle set at, caster spacer, and blade spacers. Once in a while if you get the front casters set too high or to low it will cause the RH side to cut a little lower or higher on some lawns.

Last but not least if all this checks out or you’re not sure, take it to your dealer. There are a couple of other things that we can have your dealer look at as well. The other thing you can do is call me at 800-667-5296 and I'll walk you through any questions.

Thanks

Terry

3. nu83

nu83 LawnSite Member
    from omaha

Thanks for the reply, I changed the cutting height by changing the spacer config. taking it up one spacer. I assume 1/4"? The cut is so much better with the blades a little higher. Thanks for your reply. The only other thing I need to adjust is the left drive belt so that it is tighter, I am sure I can find this in the manual also. Thanks again for your help.
    dan

4. eXmark

Dan,

The adjustment for the drive belts is in the set up and assembly section of the manual.

Take a peak at the thread titled 48in Walkbehind pulling problem http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?threadid=34161

Also peak at the manual and give me a call at 800-667-5296 and I'll walk you through it.

Thanks

Terry

5. laborador

laborador LawnSite Member

I thought it was said that the more spacers you have between the blade and the spindle the better the cut. I guess in your case the less spacers inbetween the blade and spindle the better cut.

6. eXmark

Lab,

If I had to guess he raised the deck with the front caster spacers and not with the blade spacers but I could be wrong.

On a 36" unit there are two blades staggered one ahead of the other to accomodate blade overlap. If you put too much rake in the deck by pulling too many spacers out of the front the LH blade will cut lower because it is farther forward.

Terry

7. creek chub

creek chub LawnSite Member

NU 83

I expereinced some problems with setup as well. I raised my caster wheel height with the spacers and my cut looked uneven.
    So, I put it back to the original height. The original height looks ok, I just wanted to practice changing heights.

Let me know if you find anything that helps.

8. Stubudd

Stubudd LawnSite Member
    from Acworth

I have had the same kind of problem with my new metro 36' fixed. It cut perfect the first few weeks, now the whole cut kinda slopes up to one side. It is still smooth, it just is higher on one side. I lowered the axle when i bought it, but it was fine for a while. I measured the caster wheel angles, and i found one was at a steeper angle, so i put some washers on the front bolts that hold the caster wheel to even up the angles. It seemed like this leveled the deck but it still shows the sloped cut in bermuda and zoysia. Let me know if you have any ideas- and is this kind of thing warrantied?
    thanks
    stu

9. eXmark

Stu,

There are a couple of things that could be causing what you’re seeing. I think if we can get your exact blade spacer/caster/axle setting we can figure this out..........maybe...........then again we may need to get the unit into the dealer.

I set up a Metro a couple of years ago and the caster arms looked way out of sorts.............It didn't take me long to figure out that when Installed them I had one of them in a "bind" which did not allow it to mount flush to the deck. Anything could cause this, a small piece of weld splatter, loose hardware or it's even possible something was welded wrong. I know all of you will be surprised to hear that once in a great while, if the moon and the stars align just right one of our welders will make a mistake.

ALL fixed deck 36's can leave an uneven cut if the rake is too high or if it has negative rake as well due to the stagger of the blades.

Let me know what you set up is and maybe we can find some answers.

Thanks,

Terry