36" Metro Mulching

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by corycc, Apr 15, 2001.

1. corycc

corycc LawnSite Member

How well does the Exmark micro mulch system work? I just bought a 36" metro with a 15HP Kaw and am thinking about getting one put on. How much do they run? Do they work well in tall/wet grass?

2. Time 2 Mow

Time 2 Mow Guest

eXmark makes the best mulching mower that I have used. With or without a mulching kit.

3. cajuncutter

cajuncutter LawnSite Senior Member

my exmark is an older model and I thought that mine was the only one doing this..it would sometimes leave a strip of grass and would clump frequently...talked to a friend of mine that had the "kit" on his new exmark and his did the same..I just let it fly

4. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I have an Exmark 36" Viking (hydro), for which I bought a mulching kit. I used it a few times, wanting to use is specifically for one property. I needed to do bagging other place, and other places I could just discharge the clippings. Therefore, I was confronted with time for mount/dismount (about 20-25 minutes for each).

However, the kit didn't work very well for me. Time of day was critical; grass had to be dry. Also, it left a small strip down the middle. It did solve the problem of blowing clippings into beds, but I quickly realized I could deal more easily with that problem that fiddling with the mulching kit and dealing with the results of the mulching kit. It sits against the wall in the garage.

I know others are very happy with it, but I will find other ways.

5. johnnyjay

johnnyjay LawnSite Member

I bought an Exmark Metro HP 36" WB last summer. I also bought the mulching kit and the accellerator bagging unit. I mulched everything last summer. Did not try out the bagging unit until late Nov. It was a pain to reconvert the mulching kit over to discharging for bagging. After bagging for one hour I reconverted back to the mulching kit. Leaves would fill up the unit in less than 2 minutes. I was constantly stopping to empty the bagger.

My findings are that the gator blades cut grass better than the Exmark curvy mulching blades. However, the curvy blade does much best on leaves. I mulched leaves 8 inches deep and it did a good job.

This spring I reconverted back to bagging. All my bermuda yards I have scalped and bagged and charged extra for this service. I also bought the Exmark Lazer Z 52" and put the mulching kit on it. Same results on Exmark mulching blade(curvy) works best on leaves, and the gator blade works best on grass. Next fall I will buy the collection system for the Lazer.

6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I put the mulching kit on my 36" metro last summer and it has never come back off! It works awesome. Unless I tell the customer he thinks his yard was bagged. They run $110 and well worth the money.

7. oneEXMARKfan

oneEXMARKfan Banned

Might be astupid question, but how would the Gator Magnum mulching blades do with no mulching kit (no baffles or discharge plate)

8. TGCummings

TGCummings LawnSite Senior Member

On my 36" Exmark Turf Tracer HP, I've found the 'curvy' blade to be better for all phases of work: better cutting, mulches better, and works better on leaves. I use the mulching kit, and have the same problem with that nasty strip down the middle on thick grass no matter what blade I use. Double-blading did not solve this problem, so I make another pass when that happens. Note that the problem only exists on vastly overgrown grass, such as comes from being well behind schedule or a customer who lays down some sulfate...

-TGC

9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I've never had that problem with mine. Always cuts great.

10. lawnnut

lawnnut LawnSite Member

Is going to be a problem cut with what ever you use.
    Double blades on that WB would probably disipate it the best.
    Fall and Early Spring you cannot beat the Mulcher.