36"Metro or the new Ferris dual hydro?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lonnie, Feb 23, 2004.

1. lonnie

lonnie LawnSite Senior Member

I know how everyone feels about the metro but I realyy needed to know if anyone has any experience with the ferris dual or single hydro. Ease of use and cut quality? My dealer has a price right now on the 36" dual hydro for $2800, which sounds like a great price.

2. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

Lonnie,

We have two 52" DD hydros w/ quick adjust deck. They are hands down the best mowers we own. The quality of cut is unbelievable and they are workhorses. We have our equiped w/ 23hp Kawi and Turf Runner sulkies. IMO you can't beat them. I'll attach a pic of a lawn we mow with them. Chris

3. 2tall

2tall LawnSite Member

I run two Ferris SD Hydro, 36 and 48. I absolutely love them and would purchase another if the need arises. They are built like tanks and cut great.
    The price sounds great too. I paid $2200 for a 48 SD 3 years ago and the mower at that time was 3 years old.

Just remember like everyone else has said look for the dealer support and see if they will let you demo the mower.

4. lonnie

I currently have a 36" toro belt drive. Is the single hydro easier to use than a regular belt drive?

5. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

SD hydros have some advantages over belts but why not Go For the Gusto & get one w/twin pumps & wheel motors.

6. 2tall

2tall LawnSite Member

First of all I cant make any calls btwn the hydro or belt. I have only owned SD hydros.
    As for going with a DD 36, Ferris doesnt make a DD 36 as far as I know and I dont believe any other manufacturer does either.

7. lonnie

I am a firefighter and to this part time and simply cannot afford or justify the price for an exmark and the ferris dd are to big.

8. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

Lonnie,

2Tall is correct. I think the smallest deck they offer DD in is 48", but I could be mistaken. If you can swing it, DD is the way to go. Much more control, easier on the hands, and it virtually eliminates turf marks. They run great on hills too. OK, OK I'll stop rambling.....I have to say nice things or my Ferris sponsorship could be in jeopardy......LOL
    Seriously, I have yet to find a w/b that cuts as good as a Ferris. The only thing that comes close is Exmark....close, but no cigar!
    P.S. I think they tout the new Hydrocut as a dual hydro, but it is only a single.
    Chris

9. lonnie

I was wondering about that. My dealer told me this over the phone but I could not find a 36 dd. Can you pull a sulky with the sd? I hope to go demo one tomorrow.

10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Lonnie, I returned your pm