36" Mini Z keeps throwing the blade drive belt

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by Premierlawns, Jul 1, 2006.

1. Premierlawns

Premierlawns LawnSite Member

Ive only had the mini Z for a month now and it has thrown the blade drive belt 3 times. My son was cutting the first two times and said he had gotten up with the blades engaged and when he restarted after the shutdown the blades would not engage. A quick check under the deck showed the belt jammed under the guide on the left side pulley both times. I went back to the dealer and had them reinstall the belt ($26 the first time/ $115 the second...they bent back the metal casing on the pulley covers citing that as the reason the belt was thrown/they had apparently been slightly bent down when going over a curb). On the third time, I was mowing. I disengaged the baldes going over a walk and reengaged on the other side...only they wouldn't. Once again the belt had train wrecked over the guide. Fortunately, we are a new company and have been able to work around this with our light load for now....I was wondering if this has been an issue before and what to do....the dealer has loaned me a 42" and is holding mine till a rep can look at it....is this a common problem?

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Its certainly not a common problem, this is the first time I have heard of it myself.
    E-mail me and I will have our customer service department follow up with your dealer.

Pj

3. Premierlawns

Premierlawns LawnSite Member

The Dealer had the local Hustler rep come out and they started by telling him the blades should only be engaged/disengaged with the deck fully up...dealer wasn't satisfied with that response for commercial users. They demoed with another mower how the drive belt will trainwreck when engaging in the down position. Seems the belt pullies have no edge/lip to hold the belt in place with the deck angled down. They have put on another pully system (pullly has a lip) with the guide arm repositioned and are going back to Hustler with the fix. I have a prototype until Hustler comes up with metal pullys to replace the composite ones on my tractor...seems to work!

4. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Is this a Mini FasTrak or a Mini Z?

5. jbourg

jbourg LawnSite Member

I am having the same problem on a 2006 36" Mini Z. Purchased the mower in early June this year. On Sept 20, the dealer replaced the belt the third time I brought it to his shop to address the problem with the blade popping off more than 15 times since the purchase. Belt was popping off about every third yard I mowed. Since Sept 20, the belt has popped off 3 times in the 20 yards I've mowed since the belt was replaced. Before the belt was replaced, the only guidance the dealer could provide was only to engage the blade at wide open throttle. The owner's manual clearly states to engage the blades at lower RPMs, however. I cut my yards between 4 1/4" and 5" deck height, so the deck is never really low when I engage the blade. I am the only operator of the mower. The dealer had never seen this problem before. The owner's manual clearly states to engage the blade at lower RPMs however. Pj, I will email you the specifics. I need this problem resolved. Has a new pulley system been developed by Hustler for this problem?

6. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

I see your post and have your e-mail also.
    I will get with our customer service manager and get him involved.
    I am not aware of a new pulley system or a change.
    We will get this taken care of.

Pj

7. jbourg

jbourg LawnSite Member

I'm happy to report that my blade drive belt problem has been resolved. The first fix was to install belt guides on spindle pulleys. This resulted in the belt coming off another pulley, however. The final fix was to install a new pulley set with a larger idler pulley. Since the new pulley set was installed a month ago, I've had no instances of the belt coming off. I want to thank Pj, Hustler regional support and my dealer on working this to a positive conclusion. Excellent customer service!

8. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Glad to hear they got you taken care of.