36" Mower reviews

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by soakem'dry, Jan 12, 2002.

1. soakem'dry

soakem'dry LawnSite Member

Hi, this is my first time here. I'm looking to purchase 2 new 36" mowers this year and I was wondering if there is some sort of consumer report on the different mowers out there. I'm looking at walkbehinds; bobcat, lesco, scag, toro, etc and was looking to get the best bang for my buck.

Thanks in advance

2. AA961JESTER

AA961JESTER LawnSite Member

I am in the market for a new 36 myself. I am looking strongly at the 36 landscaper. It is selling for just over 2000, and is currently on sale for 1750.
    From looking at SCAGs, Bobcats, Ferris, and Landscaper, they all seem the same except for color and price.

3. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Check out all the brands avialable in your area to compare differances and buy the one you feel best sutes your needs. I will point out two features that I don't like about a 36". First, the drive base is the same width as a 48" base making the deck edge even with the wheels so its useless trying to trim cut. Second, the blades are staggered, one slightly ahead of the other making for a longer wheel base inturn increases the scalping of uneven areas. I would suggest buying one unit small enough to fit your gatted yards and one 48"unit for the open yards. At least with a 48"you can trim cut to reduce your string trim time.

Do a serch, there is tons of info.

Gene

4. The statement above is only half true, by using generalization.

On most brands and types. There are some that differ.

A 36" is practicly a 3 spindle mowers missing one spindle, leaving 2 spindles, which still has the overlap set in it. It usualy the same length or less than a wider deck mower.

A 36" usualy tends to scalp less than it's larger counterparts. Also requiring less anti scalp wheels.

How so?

If you are basing your biz off smaller mowers I would suggest buying hydro static drive mowers to keep your limited times of mowing down and also give you more control of the mower, and more manuverablity.

The wosrt thing you can do is use price in considering a tool. Hence you buy the incorrect tool for the job then it will actualy cost you money you didn't know of.

Your best bang for the buck is a high horse power hydro mower.

5. Guardian

Guardian LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

There is a nice 36 eXmark on Ebay right now, currently @ $850.
    It looks brand new. Comes with Jungle wheels, and bagger.

If you are looking at the Lanscaper, there is brand new one direct from their CO. on Ebay - It is a 48" w/ KAW for $1850

I don't nec. recommend the Landscaper, since it is not repected real well on this site. ( PLus I've never demo'd one )

6. grass chaser

grass chaser LawnSite Member

I just purchased a 36" exmark hydro off of e-bay and it is the best mower I have ever bought. I bought it from a dealer going out of buisness. The mower was 2 years old but never used or purchased so I got a full warranty with it. The only bad part was I had to drive to Kentuky to pick it up, because shipping was so expensive. Make sure you e-mail the seller and ask a lot of questions before you purchase it.

7. BerksLawn

BerksLawn LawnSite Member

We run a 36" 12.5 kawi Yazoo/Kees belt drive. It puts out a great cut and sum great stripes. I'd give her 2 thumbs up, go demo one even though many people on here havent used them, there great machines.

Later,
    Steve

8. Green Care

Green Care LawnSite Senior Member

Demo them yourself to find what you like.

EXmark is my favorite .

9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Why 2 36"? Why not make one a 48" or 52"?

Anyway, I run exmarks. Had great results with them. If you can find a Gravely dealer nearby, you may want to look at them also. (How's that Barry?)

10. Eng Mwr Guy

Eng Mwr Guy Gravely Manufacturer

You da man!

Thank You!

Barry