1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

36"...Need a little help!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Scag48, Aug 2, 2002.

1. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Hey guys. I'm trying to talk my dad into letting me get a 36". just Anyway, I just need the advantages/disadvantages of fixed/floating decks. I want a Metro HP with a 15 Kawi, but am afraid that it will be difficult to find a used one for the price I'm willing to pay. I might be able to buy a new Metro fixed with a 15 kawi, but how easy is it to change the deck height? I know they don't scalp much, but I change my deck heigh quite a bit. Is it like a 2-3 minute thing or does it take longer? I checked the efficiency rates on Exmark's site and the efficiency is almost double compared to a 21", but my dad begs to differ. He says I won't save any time :rolleyes: I will also consider Toro as well. I'm just looking for advice since I don't know much about walkbehinds . Thanks alot for the help guys!

2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I won't get into your selling price on your mower.

A fixed deck mower takes about 30 seconds to change at the most. Pull a pin, lift up, add or subtract spacer, put pin back in. Pretty simple. Worst part is you get grease on your hands. Depending on the size of your properties, you will more than double productivity. If you have 500 sf properties it probably will not help much, but if you have 2000+ sf properties it will definately increase your output.

3. Heller Landscaping

Heller Landscaping LawnSite Member

Right now all you really need to do is get a 36 or bigger w\b it will show your dad how much more money you can make all toghether.
    Don't worry about floating or fixed . You just need to get a mower.
    I went from a 21" to a 48" ransomes and tripled my profits per hour. Boy did were my parents shocked. Now they want me to get another one for my brother. Get a reliable used ransomes scag jd ferris toro JUST TO PROVE IT. The TOYS can come later.

Just a thought.:cool:

4. sbvfd592

sbvfd592 LawnSite Senior Member

i got my 36inch and i work 2 days less a week after school now so it freed up my fridays i got more jobs to fill in

5. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Well, I talked to about 5 dealers today and talked to one guy that Acute Cut told me about and he has a brand new Toro 36" Hydro with full floating deck for $3500, which is a steal, since it usually goes for $5,000. It's got about 30 hours he said from just running it inside and out just for display, but hasn't been mowed with. He thought it had like 10 hours or something but he said someone must have left the key on and ran up some hours. Oh yeah, it does have electric start which is nice, I suppose. I don't necessarily like pulling on cords so E-start is kinda nice. This is a deal that I should definately jump on, but I need to sell my current mower. I had a couple of dealers tell me that I could sell my mower for $4000, which really surprised me. I gotta find a homeowner to sell it to, then run to the west side of the hills and buy me up a new mower!

6. Heller Landscaping

Hey scag48 how did you get THAT past your dad. By the way how are you hauling it. Second Thoughts how long are you going to be paying off 3500.00 . Just remember Its going to be sitting all winter doing nothing while u are making payments.

7. Heller Landscaping

By the way who is going to pay $4,000.00 for a used 21" mower. I would not pay that much for a new one or it had better leave gold clippings.:rolleyes:

8. Heller Landscaping

SCAG48 I JUST HAPPENED TO BE SEARCHING THOURGH BACK THREADS AND HAPPENED TO SEE YOUR REPLY THAT YOU HAD A TORO GOUNDMASTER 44" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU JUST SAID YOU WERE BEGGING YOUR DAD TO LET YOU GO FROM A 21" TO 36" HOW COME IF YOU ALREADY HAVE A 44" IN POST 573 8/29/2001.
    COME ON GROW UP START TELLING THE TRUTH. :angry: WHAT REALLY IS THE TRUTH. MAKE SURE YOU TELL THE TRUTH AND THE WHOLE TRUTH WHEN YOU SELL THAT 21" FOR 4000.00!!!!!!!!!!

I WONDER IF YOU REALLY EVEN HAVE A BUSINESS?:confused:

9. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Dude, chill out. I'm selling the Groundsmaster!!!! I guess I forgot to mention that :blush: . I'd planned on selling the Groundsmaster, then paying for the W/B with that so I DON'T have payments. I suppose I forgot to mention what mower I AM selling. Must be the heat and the stuff that happened yesterday. Dad lost the gas cap to the Groundsmaster when refueling. Left it on the back and took off in a hurry. I was running the Groundsmaster next to a sandy bank and it gave away because it was a little softer than I anticipated. It was just a bank that had weeds on it until I hacked them all down. No damage, I was just a little rattled. Then the ball hitch nut fell out and the trailer was hanging by the chains. Good thing we had tongue weight or it could have been ugly. I don't know who's fault that was! I apologize for the confusion on my post! Now I feel stupid....

10. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

Scag48- I have the Metro 36. I either move the spacers on the casters(about 20 or 30 seconds) or sometimes I have to move the spacers on the blades (about 3 or 4 minutes).