36" or 21" in res

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jocko1104, Aug 19, 2002.

1. jocko1104

jocko1104 LawnSite Member

I have a 36 encore 14 hp kaw
    echo trim
    echo blow
    Considering 21" snapper com grade

Do yall use a 21 AT ALL in res yards? Sometimes it seems like it would be easier to make a pass with the 21 and then the 36 but then again its just one more piece of equipment to unload.

Any insight?
  2. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

making a pass with a 21" is useless.

if the 36" fits use it. and make the pass with the trimmer.

better quality cut. faster.
  3. AielLandscaping

AielLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

all i use is 21" machines, and all i do is residential. that being said, i'm going to be adding a 36" stander. but if your already using only a 36" then i guess the question is how could you save time by using a smaller machine? keep in mind that adding a mower will change your load and unload time mostlikely.
  4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I do a lot of under 1/4 acre yards and usually if I can get my 60" in them and make it look good I'll use that. I do have a 22" mower but it is only used in one yard with a 30" gate.
  5. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Get the eXmark Viking 36" WB Hydro with a flex-deck contour mowing and trimming attachment for a 54" cut that flips up for thru the gates that are 36" then down for 54" then you have all bases covered. Small yards and larger yards

Thanks, Brad - See us at the KC BBQ
  6. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I have a Toro 36" Hydro and a Toro 21" push, I only use the 21" on culverts and on two properties next door to each other where it's really hilly. I cant seem to stop the Hydro from scalping or keep the tires from leaving skid marks in the turns.

I need them both, but would prefer to get rid of the 21" if I could.

7. m&m

m&m LawnSite Member

if a 36 works , use it

as for the 60 inch, i know it is twice as fast as the 36, but if ya really want to make the yars look good, and i say this loosely, using a msaller stripe on a msaller yard looks better, in my opinion.......its just looks more proportionate
  8. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

ya, M&M is right.. a mower that is proportionally too big not only looks goofy, but is harder to manuever in some cases and you may be forced to only mow in one pattern. this may cause excess rutting which will look bad over time. It's funny to see 32" stripes on a lawn of 1 1/2 acres :p :p been there, done that LOL....
  9. TurfGuyTX

TurfGuyTX LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

Having the 21" mower will not harm you. You will find with time, you'll be using it sparingly. It will come in handy from time to time though. I carry two 21's regularly. They don't get used as much as the 61", but do get used. Good luck.
  10. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Come to the BBQ in KC and we will show you what a 36" eXmark WB with the Flex-Deck (54" total contour mowing and trimming cut) will do for you

Thanks, Brad