36" or 32" walk behind

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HacMan91, Jul 24, 2003.

1. HacMan91

HacMan91 LawnSite Member

I need a 36" or 32" walk behind. I plan to buy an exmark. I have a 36" walker and have some back yards that it is barely too big to fit in to. I know the 32 will fit but I would like the extra size of the 36. My question is, do any of you use a small ramp on one side of the mower to gain an extra inch. If you do, and it works, I may go for the 36. A ramp isnt an option with the walker. I may play it safe and just get the 32. Any input would be great, thanks in advance.

2. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Explain "ramp"?

We use a 32's and 36's scag. A 48 for large groupings and enough open areas. Walker 42 when doing the commercials.

Our 32's and 36's are used constantly.

3. Live4Mowin'

Live4Mowin' LawnSite Member

HacMan91 are you talking about a ramp on one side of the mower to make it fit diagonally through a gate?

4. BRIAN GALLO

BRIAN GALLO LawnSite Senior Member

I would say that the gate or area you are trying to fit through is going to dictate the size? I wouldn't want to be fooling around with ramps or trying to lift things on angles - that would make for a long tough day. I have had 32's and now have a 36 as my "small" mower. I will say the 32 is a unique animal - usually very narrow tires and kind of long. I didn't like my 32's when I had them but they are a necessary evil if that's the biggest you can fit through a gate.

5. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Get the 36" and use little skill to pass through gate by slanting wheel by wheel in, kind a wriggling, very simple. Never have problem with 36" on gates here in FL.
    It is getting harder and harder now to find a 32" in my region especially this year, most of dealers don't stock them on floor like they do on 36" and 48" which are ubiquitous, it goes like this ...36" fixed and 48" floating. Once asked why not having 32", they said cause nobody buys or cares for them. Just a thought from Florida.

6. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

A 32" is a perfect mower. You can basically get rid of your trim mower and still get through a back yard gate to do decent sized properties. You need what you need, know what I mean? The battle between 32" and 36" is silly. Why then buy a 48? I mean, why not just get a 54" or 61", Bob-Cat makes them all. Use the proper tools.

7. HacMan91

HacMan91 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replys. I was talking about a ramp to go through diagonally. I know the 32 will fit but I am unsure of the 36 since my walker doesnt fit. I guess I will have to get a demo and check some of my gates. We have some yards in the older side of town. No double wooden fence, brick fences with narrow wrought iron gates, 35" or so.

8. GLAN

GLAN Banned

And how does a "ramp" help?

I have had 2 guys tilt the machine up on it's side and bring it through the gate that way.

But a ramp......... I unno?