36" or 42" MFT

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by brandonb, Apr 14, 2007.

1. brandonb

brandonb LawnSite Member

Decided on getting a MFT, but having trouble on which deck to get. I was going to get the 36" but started thinking about the lack of overhang. Does having the 42" make that much difference as far as getting close to obsticles? My main obsticle is an aluminum fence and a swingset. Thanks for the help.

2. nmurph

nmurph LawnSite Senior Member
    from ga

unless you have a gate or similar obstacle situation where the larger deck would prevent your accessing your lawn, i would definitely go with the 42". i can't say anything about the 36"er, i have a mft 17/42". it is great around trees, etc.......i would think that you might appreciate the 42"er's trim capability even more along a fence line.

3. wingnutdave

wingnutdave LawnSite Member

From a 36" owner, get the 42" if you can. The lack of overhang is exactly the reason. you can trim, its just a bit of a pain. Other than that, its no big deal. I love mine, and would not give it up, but If I had it to do again, it would be the 42".

4. brandonb

brandonb LawnSite Member

Thanks for the comments. I did get the 42 and love it. I have used a lot of Green and Yellow products in the past and I will have a hard time going back after seeing how this thing is built!

5. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Thats great!
    Welcome to the family!!

Pj

6. brandonb

brandonb LawnSite Member

I do have a couple of questions for you.

The tracking is off a little and I need to adjust it (veers to the left). I've seen that you need to adjust the "Pump Rod Adjuster Assembly" to do so. A little nervous about screwing this up since it is new, but I am very mechanically inclined. How senisitive is this rod. Meaning, does a half a turn make much of a difference. Also, by adjusting this, how much would I have to turn it to affect the neutral setting.

Thanks!

7. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

I would wait a few hours of operation for the unit to "break in", then if needed you can adjust it per the manual.
    The adjustment is sensitive, but not to sensitive.
    Your dealer can also take care of this for you.

Pj

8. Diamondjim

Diamondjim LawnSite Member

One of the first things to check if yours is not steering straight is the air pressure in the tires. These mowers are sensitive to the amount of pressure in the tires. My front tires didn't have any air in them when I got it home. Otherwise, run it a few hours before you adjust it. I wasn't too impressed with my dealer prep but I love my 18/44 Fastrak. DJ