1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

36 or 48 inch gear drive walk behind

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by bstroman, Nov 20, 2006.

1. bstroman

bstroman LawnSite Member

ok, thanks to everyone for the input and advise on rider vs walker. I went today to purchase a 48 inch walkbehind and the dealer was out. He tried to sell me a 36 claiming that the 48 will only be a little faster and sells for 500 more. MY QUESTIONS IS WHICh ONE. Is the 48 that diffucult to operator becuase of its size and yes I do plan to put a velke on it.
  2. Maitland Man

Maitland Man LawnSite Member

...not what he wants to sell you. If a 48 will get around your properties .....I'd definetly wait and get the 48. A 36..Ha!...that's a full foot difference per strip!!!!......that'd be a like....33% increase in productivity.:cool2:
  3. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Depends access. Do you have yards with gates? That is one of the places where a 36" comes in handy. Yes a 48" would be more productive.

Best advise would be to step back and review your needs.
  4. bstroman

bstroman LawnSite Member

no gates mainly wide open except for 2 small yards. I guess how easy is a 48 inch walk behind to control. It seems like a monster for a walk behind however with only 5 accounts I can not justify a zero turn. My friend just bought a hustler mini fastrak and mows about 10 properties, however I think I would be better to stick with commercial grade equipment. ANY THOUGHTS WOULD BE GREAT. THANKS
  5. tomgolfs44

tomgolfs44 LawnSite Member

I have a 48" Scag and a 32" Toro, and I'm behind that Scag as often as possible. I have a lot of postage stamp yards and almost all are gated with 36-48" gates, so the 32" gets a lot of work.......but I am never happier than when I get to my 1 acre+ yards and cruise behind that Scag. It is no more difficult to maneuver in a yard, just heavier getting on and off the trailer. just my 2 cents
  6. bstroman

bstroman LawnSite Member

Sounds like the 48 gets another vote. velke or proslide with a 48?
  7. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I have a 48 belt WB. It is quick and I am able to use it most of the time. I do however want a 36 or 32 though, I don't like getting the 21 off the trailer. You will get in situations where you have to manhandle the 48, and it does get heavy. It really depends on the properties you cut.
  8. Dogbonz

Dogbonz LawnSite Senior Member

I Got my Husqvarna48 and my proslide off ebay,,, does great work and handles good. only have 5 regs this season,, looking to double that for 07.1500 for 48 and bout 2 bills for proslide. =)
  9. MattsMowing3535

MattsMowing3535 LawnSite Senior Member

48 all the way! I have been thinking very hard on what I will get for a sulky. I looked into proslide but eventauly the plate does wear out if you use it alot. You also cannot use it on the street driveways or gravel etc. For this reason I am looking into sulkies that stay fixed in the same spot behind the mower and are basicly like a proslide on whell's/ you can take them accross driveways and down the street from house to house. Much eiser to use IMO!
    Here is a link.
  10. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

So you knew what you wanted, went to by it, and he did not have one---- so what has changed-- you still want the 48, get what you want, not what somebody wants to get off his floor, I would run from this dealer as he has his interest in mind and not yours.

Also read the belt V hydro thread:waving: