36" or 48" Walk-Behind

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Howie's Lawn Care, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Howie's Lawn Care

Howie's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I listend to what everyone on here has been saying, and I've decided I shouldn't get a $1100.00 21" Toro. Instead, I should get a 32", 36", or 48" walk-behind. It seems to me a 32" would be good for fences, but otherwise you might as well get a 48". Is there a point in getting a 36" instead of 48". The 36" won't fit through gates since it is technically about 37" - 38". I do mow alot of small yards, so a 36" might be more ideal. I could finance a 36" and 48". Or, I could pay for most of a 36" and finance another 36". Then I could have one of my homies mow yards with me for $10.00 an hour. Which option do you guys think sounds better? I'm kind of interested in Hustler, Toro, and Exmark. Are the Dixon walk-behinds anygood? They look pretty basic, but are cheap. Should I pay my friend $10.00 an hour? He works at Arbys for $5.25 :cool2: now, but acted kind of like $10.00 wasn't that good. I know I wouldn't pay more then $10.00. He'd be a good hard worker. By the way, all of this would be purchased for next year. I'm just trying to figure out what I'm going to do in advance. Well, thanks for any help and advice.

2. ajlandscaping

ajlandscaping LawnSite Member

can you handle the yards by yourself if so then don't hire bc then you can make more money yourself but if your full time already and its hard for you to mow all your yards every week then i would hire him bc hiring take alot of money which you could have pocketed

3. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Get a 52" hydro walk, one or two passes on small lawn and you done. Going into a subdivision, 4-5 houses clustered together, and you will thank me million time not to take a plunge on a 36". You should sell all of your 21" toy and get a serious cutting machine.

4. lawnmedic1

lawnmedic1 LawnSite Member

I carry a 36" mower on each trailer. It will go through a standard 36" walk gate, the opening will be 38-39" wide. All the rest of the mowers are 52" or 61" Zs. Just sold my original mower, it was a 1978 36" Snapper/Kees. Bought it in 95, new owner running the hell out of it...

5. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

36 is an essential. My 48 can go down and I know the day will be a long one. If the 36 goes down It is basically a show stopper. Add a bigger mower as jobs permit.

6. clay duncan

clay duncan LawnSite Senior Member

very good advice.....

7. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I agree not having a 36 can really limit your capabilities. My 52 gets 85-90% of the action but without the 36 to do the backyards and islands I would be in trouble. If you are just starting out and you know your target neighborhoods have gates I think it would be silly not to get a 36 because without it you just cut out a lot of potential properties. If you want to save some $$ buy a mower that is a year or two old. There is nothing wrong with used equipment when you are starting out. Just make sure you know what you want and the machine is not beat into the ground.

8. green-go

green-go LawnSite Member

As I suggested before, I'd get a 36. Are you sure that a 36 won't fit through most of your fenced backyards? Around here a 36 will fit through about 90% of fenced backyards (a couple it literally has to squeeze through).

If/when you grow and have a trailer, larger accounts, etc., you can look into something like a 48/52. But you'll still have use for the 36 for small yards and fenced backyards.

I have a 36 Lesco belt drive which is a good mower for the money. I've never used a Dixon WB, but I've seen a Dixon 36 - they look very simple but well made. I don't know how they cut though.

9. johnmatt2004

johnmatt2004 LawnSite Member

DO NOT GET A 52! And dont hire someone that is goin to wine about gettin a taxfree 10 an hour (which is more like 11.50-12 an hour) to ride around in a truck half the time! that surpirses me, especially since he is your friend and is makin 5 and hour! not to mention you will be losing 25-30% of your profitt. i wouldnt offer him more than 8.50/ hr runnin the weedwacker and blower only!

I have some small yards too , which i do ok with a 48 walk benind. I have a 21 pushmower for access problem areas. just take your time and get and be prepared for what the future may bring. i couldnt imagine if i had bought a 36. i started out with ALL small yards and now i have a commercail property that is 2.5 acres. i would go nuts cuttin that with a 36.

10. jimmbo407

jimmbo407 LawnSite Member

Hello Howie, your at were I was two yrs ago. I was trying to decide what toe buy. As it turned out I found a used 36" WB Ex-mark metro belt drive. I have had no problems. All of my accounts are residential and about half have gates. The 36 gets through with no problem. I don't understand getting smaller mowers. Ive only been doing this for two years so there may be a real good reason for getting small 21,26, or 32 inch mowers. I mow exclusively with my 36 and found no need for anything smaller. When I get a larger mower I will keep my 36 for gates. Now the next thing if you want to keep your friend don't hire him. Don't share your profits.

Next on the Dixon question, Ive never seen the WB only riders. The two friends I have that run the riders do not have a lot of nice things to say about them.

Thats all I know hopefully it will help

Let us know what you do. :)