1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

36" or 48"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by NEWGUYRI, Jan 12, 2010.

NEWGUYRI LawnSite Senior Member

Ok, bit of a problem.

I have a 54" kubota ztr and am going to get an exmark walkbehind. I live in a suburbian town, but not where all the homes are packed row by row, they vary from about 1/4 acre to 3-4 acres. I am not sure about gates on most homes, all I can say is that if a home does have a gate I would expect it to be a double gate. But, I'm sure there are many homes with only 1 gate. SO what should I get?
  2. a clear difference lawn

a clear difference lawn LawnSite Senior Member

In my experience, if gates are involved - a 48" deck always has posed a problem. That is just where I live though. Maybe you can try to measure a couple of the gates.
  3. hornett22

hornett22 LawnSite Senior Member

if you are worried about gates,get the 36.you know your area better than anyone else.

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

i ahve a 48'' but if you already have a 54'' i would suggest going with the 36''

NEWGUYRI LawnSite Senior Member

can you get through gates with it? Also what kind of enviornment, because from your pic it looks similar to mine.
  6. RickR1818

RickR1818 LawnSite Senior Member

If you already have a 54" i would also go with a 36".
  7. WHIPPLE5.7

WHIPPLE5.7 LawnSite Senior Member

I would go with a 36 for sure. If I had gotten a 48 I would be using a 21 most of the time because of all the gates. No doubt the 48 would be handy on larger stuff but a 36 WB is the most versitile machine out there. You can everything from teeny tiny yards to larger places. Sometimes it may seem alittle small but atleast you can use it everywhere else too.
  8. bobcat48

bobcat48 LawnSite Gold Member

yep 36 but i have a 33' and it does just fine.
  9. mowzilla

mowzilla LawnSite Member

don't get stuck on the exmark.. demo all of them. i have 1000's hrs with exmark and i love it as much as i hate it.. i also have 20+yrs running toro's and its my favorite bar none.. look into a 40" toro has them.. 36's (which i have) are just soo versitile.
  10. Pat'sPerfectLawnService

Pat'sPerfectLawnService LawnSite Senior Member

since you have the 54" to get houses with out gates, i would go with the 36" to get the small gated houses