36" ransomes

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Rufur, Jul 29, 2000.

1. Rufur

Rufur LawnSite Member
    from md

We recently added a 36 ransomes to our inventory used on residential lawns thing is its gotta be backed onto the trailer this is how it goes...throw it in reverse then press down on the pistol grips there is no way I can have both hands pressing down on these w/o letting go of the safety bar I had to disconnect the safety feature so now its possible for 1 person to load the mower am I missing something here?

2. cutntrim

cutntrim LawnSite Senior Member

We've got two Ransomes 36's and had a third until we sold it. I don't understand your question though, you're saying you can't put it on your trailer facing forwards? Not enough room on the trailer? I can tell you that the gear-drive's reverse gear sucks - I never use it. As for having to have two hands on the controls I don't know what you mean. Thumb the grips into neutral, then put the gear in reverse, then put your hand back on the grip and release the thumb levers and away you go. As long as your in neutral you can be in any gear you want and the mower won't move and won't kill the engine on you whether or not your depressing the safety bar levers. <p>Anyway, just get yourself a longer trailer.<p>----------<br>Dave in S.Ontario<br>www.cutntrim.com

3. Jeff in AL

Jeff in AL LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

Rufur-- If I understand your question correctly, your asking why there is no power or speed in reverse? Being a Ransomes dealer, I have been asked this question a million times. The answer that was given to me from the factory years ago was that it is a safety feature. If for some reason you had the machine in reverse and you fell, the safety switches should kill the engine. However being like so many other people and disconnecting the switches because they are a pain in the a$$, this is a safety that you can't do anything about, and it could save your life. It is made to have very little power(torque)in reverse so that if you fell and had the switches disconnected, the machine will not run you over.<br>If this does not answer your question, ask it again.<p>Jeff

4. Rufur

Rufur LawnSite Member
    from md

its a 6x10 trailer and the only way I can cram these 2 mowers on there is if they are put on backwards that is facing the tailgate otherwise the handle bars stick out and we cant close the gate the reverse is very weak barely moves at at the only way I can make it move up the ramp is if I let go of the handle bars and lean down on the levers-pushing towards the ground however while pushing down from the levers I cant keep my hands on the safety lever atop the handle bar as well

5. Dennis

Dennis LawnSite Member
    from Ga.

I have the same trbl on my 5x10, what I did was to get some flat bar steel and made an extension of the gate latch, if yours is of this type it is very easy

6. mountainviewland

mountainviewland LawnSite Member

I put my mowers on sideways instead of straight ahead. I have a 12x6 trailer and fit a 36&quot;,48&quot;, and a 54&quot;

7. Rufur

Rufur LawnSite Member
    from md

Im sorry 5x10 hey dennis how does this extension go? Ive seen others let the gate hang down a bit with chains was just worried it might hit the mowers on bumps I pair the bobcat with a 52 t bar toro and the toro comes up fine in reverse but the bobcat is much harder to move maybe its an adjustment problem on the cat its got 20 hrs or less on it maybe belts are out of order does anyone know if the bobcat hydro has the same reverse?

8. Dave

Dave LawnSite Senior Member
    from RI

I would say its out of adjustment.they have a weak reverse,but not that weak as they use the same trans as the toro,the hydro is pump&fluid like the ztr's reverse is right there when you squeeze the handles,as there is no belts to power the wheels