1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

36" Scag Electric Clutch & Starting Question?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PetalsandPines, Apr 23, 2002.

1. PetalsandPines

PetalsandPines LawnSite Member

I have generally had manually engaged clutches on my machines, however my scag that is about 4 years old is making me wonder if the electric clutch is going on it....The problem is when you take the dust cover off and try to pull the belt, the pulley on the clutch makes an awful squealing metal on metal sound.It is also difficult to pull the belt around the pulleys. In addition when the clutch is engaged at high RPM, it seems to take forever for the blades to get up to a top speed. As of late it seems like the engine is being stressed by the clutch pulley....Is that pulley greasable, repairable or is it all one unit? Are there bearings in it? Any help would be much appreciated. (Any one ever have the electrical connection melt for the electric clutch, the one that is about half way up the handlebar area)?....Hey While I am at it...any one ever have problems starting one of these scags (Kawasaki Engine) on a cold morning....such as we are having, and backfire when you shut it off(one loud pop)
  2. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Scags are known for wiring/electrical problems. I have had several pigtails replaced as well as the unit that bolts onto the deck on my 32". As far as the kaws, most now have the ACR and are easier to start. If your machine is backfiring when turning off, I'd suggest idling down first. Make it a habit - after all, you don't rev up your truck engine before turning off the ignition.
    As far as the squealing - yes, probably a new clutch will be in order. Be prepared$$. As far as the blades taing awhile to get to top speed, check the blade belt for proper tightness (many models have adjustable rods), check belt and pulleys for excessive wear.

Good luck.

BOTURF LawnSite Senior Member

I had the same thing happen to me on one of my scag walkbehinds dealer found it was the voltage regulator and scag did have some problems with that in past . He replaced it and have had np problems since also what ever you do dont engage blades or pto at full throttle ........ engage at half then bring it up also idle it down before before shutting down pto and shutting machine off let it cool down a minute or 2
  4. CLM1103

CLM1103 LawnSite Member

I have the Scag 36" and whenever I finish mowing a yard, I just shut off the fuel at the shut off valve and continue to weed-eat or blodw off and engine will shut off after a couple minutes of cool down time.