36 Scag Gear Lever broke off!! What to do?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by green-pa, May 10, 2008.

1. green-pa

green-pa LawnSite Senior Member

Man, on my last job of the day with my Scag 36 advantage belt driven mower, I hit the gear lever ( the large lever that changes gears from R, N, 1, 2, ect ) to put in Reverse with my foot or slapped it with my hand and it just broke off the bolt. The bolt just snapped. I guess I've been too rough with it or something. I'd thought it was made more tough, it being such a big bar and all. So the bolt is like barely hanging out, how the hell are they going to get it out? Is this common with these mowers? I just bought it last summer and only has 110 hours on it. Will this be covered under warranty? I had fun pushing the 450 lb machine without help up the ramp on my trailer :weightlifter: almost pulled something doing it. :cry: I had to finish the job with the 21 inch. Is this an easy fix or can I expect to have to have it in the shop for several days?

Also, how much can I expect to pay for a 36 inch wb rental and are they hard to find in major cities?
  2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

You can try an easy out - and drill a hole in the center of the bolt and put in easy out to get the bolt out. Not likely a warranty thing unless you know the shop and have good relations with them. It isn't a common problem....you do use knee to shift gears.
  3. green-pa

Yeah, I use the knee a lot but sometimes it was much easier to reach it with my foot.

What is "Easy Out"? And the bolt is in a really tight place that I'm not sure my drill would reach. Wouldn't I need a special bit for that anyway?
  4. slone

slone LawnSite Member

if it is not under warranty you can get the handle tac welded back on. did this on my older lesco 36 and never had a problem after that
  5. green-pa

So that part is actually called a "handle tac"? Is that the thing I'm calling a bolt? It's only about 1/4-1/2 inch in diameter.
  6. BanvilleLawnCare

BanvilleLawnCare LawnSite Member

No, it's not called a handle tac. He's saying that you can get the handle (tac welded) on. Tac welding is a type of welding.:hammerhead:
  7. green-pa

Oh, pardon my ignorance, I'm not up on welding techniques. How does this work and will should I be more careful next time when shifting? Sometimes I'm in a hurry and figured that since it's such a big lever I could tap it with my foot or hand too. It's not like I'm a 200 lb dude beating the crap out of it. I guess I just hit it the wrong way a few too many times.
  8. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Why not call your dealer and ask him.......
  9. Indy Kyle

Indy Kyle LawnSite Member

Mind if I ask you how old you are? Just curious.
  10. slone

slone LawnSite Member

i had the same problem a few years ago. i could not get the bolt out. i had to take the transmision cover off. then i had to remove the shifting gear and have it replaced. sounds harder than it really is. eventually the bolt starts working its way loose over time. so i took my mower to my local welding shop and he welded the handle back on to top of the shift gear that comes out of the top of trans. my trans was a pearless. i don't remember if he tac welded or used a mig weld. he held the welder tip to it and zapped it twice. i never had a problem after that. your dealer could proably do the same for if thats what you wanted. i wanted someone that knew what they were doing because the fuel tank sits above my trans. one wrong move by an inexperinced person and good by mower. hpoe that helps