36" SCAG mower price question

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by ToddS, Dec 23, 2003.

1. ToddS

ToddS LawnSite Member

I have been offered a used 2001 36" SCAG, 15hp Kawasaki engin, hydo with a floating deck for $1,999. This mower has approximately 200 hrs. Is this a good price or worth looking more into this deal? Just wondering if buying a used mower has any advantages/disadvantages over buying a new mower other then the bottom $. I am just starting out and don't want to invest a lot of money, but also want a reliable mower. I am hoing to get 30 weekly accounts. I have no "backup" mower if my mower breaks down. Thanks

ToddS

2. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Jump on it!

3. chevyman1

chevyman1 LawnSite Senior Member

36" is the only downfall...pretty small

4. ElephantNest

from La.

Yeah, only about 3 to 4 acres/hour. hehe

36" is perfect for most residentials, fits in 90% of back gates, agile, quick, love mine, though mine is an eXmark. But I have used scags in the past and they are tanks.

5. chevyman1

3-4 acres an hour with a 36" mower? you must be smoking grass, not mowing it! what a joke...at 80-100% mowing capacity,you can mow about 2.0 acres in 1 hour at 5MPH on a 36" cut....spend the extra, go buy a 48", and in the spring, figure out which places you need to get creative with in terms of fitting in gates...totally worth it. I only had 12 lawns last year, but this year have 2 big contracts and 40 and would never go smaller than a 48"..I have a 52" 1000Z IS from Ferris and a 48" walk-behind

6. J.Gordon

J.Gordon LawnSite Senior Member

I could have got a new Scag 36’’ fixed deck belt drive. I think it was a 12 or 14 hp Kohler for $1500.00. It was last years model.At the time I was looking for a 60’’. I haven’t priced any 36’’ lately but that looks like a great price to me! I do know that the Scag is one tough machine. Scag has proven itself to be a reliable machine. good luck!

7. chevyman1

I should add Scag and Ferris are the two best you can buy

8. ElephantNest

from La.

My 36" TTHP mows 2.75 acres/hour.

So was 3 that far off? That machine with the 15HP kawi should do about 6.2 MPH. So, sorry....it should cut about 2.5 to 2.75 acres/hour. For that price, being a hydro with that few hours on it, I'd take it.

9. chevyman1

price is good, but you aren't cutting that much per hour unless you have 1 large field with nothing in it

10. young's turf

young's turf LawnSite Member

3 acres an hour with a 36 ......are you running or walking
    come on no way ....we cut 2 acres all open space.. to make it look good
    maybe 55 mins to an hour 10mins and that's with a 60 in rider exmark Z 27hp find it har to beleave