36" Scag Walk Behind! Please help!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CRQualityMowing, Apr 6, 2012.

1. CRQualityMowing

CRQualityMowing LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

I am looking at buying a Scag 36" walk behind belt drive. Its about four years old and looks immaculate. It was only used for personal use. He asking $1,800 and he already told me that he will deal a little. Its has a mulching plate and a strip kit on it as well. He also said it pulls a little to the left. Why would this be happening? Is that normal? Is this a good buy or should I stay away?

2. dieseltech

dieseltech LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like a decent buy but try and deal a little. Pulls to the left probably just needs steering adjusted
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. CRQualityMowing

CRQualityMowing LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Thanks! I thought so too. The new ones are about $3,500 and this one is practically new. I really don't know much about walk behinds? Is it difficult to adjust the steering? Is that normal?
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. ShooterK2

ShooterK2 LawnSite Senior Member

Before you go adjusting the steering, you might check the air pressure in the tires.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. The Grounds Crew

The Grounds Crew LawnSite Member

Download the manual for it on Scag's website it will show you how to adjust the steering. It can be difficult. It could be due to the mower sitting for a while and maybe a little rust. I run three scags and my two 36in's are belt driven. They are really good machines, but when it is wet out you should rub soap for about 15 minutes on the belts. It is a little secret I use and it will prevent the belts from slipping. You should take some pictures and maybe a pic of the striping kit on it.