1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

36" Sentar vs 36" Stander

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by googles, Jul 28, 2005.

1. googles

googles LawnSite Senior Member

Does anyone have both of these 36" machines that could give me Real Feedback. What are the advantages and disadvantages??? I want to buy one so please good feedback would be great. Thanks
  2. Hootsma

Hootsma LawnSite Member

We just bought a 36" Sentar. We considered the Stander, but the deck scared us away. Real pain in the but to adjust the height. The Sentar deck height adjustment is easy. No messing with spacers. Demo both. The Stander seemed like it would bother my back standing with my hips leaned forward like that, but I have read posts on here by others who have bad backs and do not have problems with the Stander. Stander also makes a 42" deck that might get you into most gates. We probably would have gone with the 42" if it had an easily adjustable deck. The controls and hydro pumps are the same between the two models and most have the kawi engines which are great, so you just need to figure out if deck adjustment is important to you.

Hope this helps.

3. WoodBrothersLC

WoodBrothersLC LawnSite Senior Member

Hootsma, do you not cut all of your lawns at the same height? All but maybe 1 of our lawns are Kentucky bluegrass/fescue mixes and I can't understand bending over for a customer who wants it cut shorter or taller than our recommended cutting height unless the money is THAT good. I'm not critisizing (sorry if it sounds like that), I'm just trying to see why the spacers were a big deal.
  4. Hootsma

Hootsma LawnSite Member

We cut St. Augustine grass down here, and we are usually changing cutting height every couple of lawns. If someone is juicing the hell out of their lawn, you can't cut it at the same height as someone who starves their yard and gets very little growth.

Some customers just prefer a lower nap than the recomended 4 1/2" height for St. Augustine grass, so we try to accomodate.
  5. WoodBrothersLC

WoodBrothersLC LawnSite Senior Member

Makes sense then.

-Mark Wood
  6. br549oicu8

br549oicu8 LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey WoodBrothers...I see you have a small trailer with a nice list of equipment. I am looking for a smaller trailer and have an 18' to sell.
    Chat at me if interested!
  7. leaflawnandlimb

leaflawnandlimb LawnSite Member

googles, where in NY are you? I could put you in contact with some people that own them. My Exmark dealer just took them on this spring.
  8. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

The sentar sport will run circles around the stander and the stander will runs circles around the velke mower. My dealer has a 36" sentar, 36" stander and 36" velke lined right up next to each other. Take a guess which one he has sold more of.

If you are like me a like fix decks. Then go with the stander. If you like floating decks go with the sentar.
  9. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

What machine seems easier to run? I have not had any "mow" time with either but I have been behind the controls of both and for me my line of sight seemed better with the sport. I am going to get a demo of the 36" sport it looks like a cool little machine.

10. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

The Stander. :)