36" SS Great Dane ????

Discussion in 'Great Dane' started by SCAPEASAURUSREX, Dec 31, 2003.

1. SCAPEASAURUSREX

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

I am considering this machine as opposed to a regular 36" hydro and was curious if anyone using this machine can tell me about its performance and cut. No one seems to stock it by me to check out without actually ordering it and it has a differnt frame than the larger 48" machines. I have a 54" JD quick Trak and love it thats why I am looking at this GD machine as JD does not offer the 36" in a stand on unit.. Thanks for any input on this machine

2. 4evergreenlawns

4evergreenlawns LawnSite Member

Simple read my thread and my experience. I was also told about the different belt types but the unit just seems to have to put way too much speed from the engine to the blade to the the cutting action.

The 36" SS has three blades on the deck. The drive belt is just very short and take alot of stress. Although I have heard of other size unit having pully tolerance issues, I have just never really been assured that the drive belt issue was due to a bad pully. The unit also never really gave me a good level cut. Changing HOC was a PITA IMHO due to the set up of the HOC lever only being on one side instead of both sides as in all the other size decks.

I just ended up not being happy with the unit overall. If you need a 36" because of gates than a hydro walk behind is the way to go. You most likely will not be puting huge hours behind it due to its size. I use a 32" w/b just to get into the few area I can not get to with the 52" SS which I love by the way.

I would add a 52" SS or 61" SS in a second, and have already been selling and biding work with that in mind.

3. SCAPEASAURUSREX

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

Ok, so you had a problem with the drive belts, other than that how was it........

Anybody else or does only one person own this machine....

4. 4evergreenlawns

4evergreenlawns LawnSite Member

Hillside stability was not there, I can take the 52 places the 36 would NOT go. Getting over curbs same thing.

The HOC adjustment was a realy PITA. It took forever to get a level cut but than if you wanted to chage the HOC of cut you had to readjust the entire set up.

Finishing cut quality with the 52 was VERY VERY noticably improved from the result with the 36, just did not notice it until I had cut for weeks with the 36 and than switched to the 52.

If you think you are going to solve the problem with the belt good luck. Spend the money and learn yourself. I know if I would have talked to ONE person that had the same type of feedback I would NEVER had bought the 36 in the first place.

You might want to do a search I do think here is more than ONE person, (ME) that has had issues with the 36 and not being happy with the end cut quality.

If there is any way at all you can get buy with the 48 or even the 52 you will be much better off. If not stick with a W/B for the small jobs. I still have a 32 W/B in the trailer but only use is about 3% of the time on a weekly basis. Everything else is done on the 52. If my account listed changed to where I was getting more demand and use out of the 32 I would set up to a 36 Hydro by GD in a second.

5. djp

djp LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Scapeasaurusrex,

I am forwarding this on to our distributor in your area and I am sure he can fix you up with a dealer that will demo a unit for you. Our distributor is General Power in Cranbury, NJ.

Thanks,