36 Super Surfer question

Discussion in 'Great Dane' started by Jusmowin, Mar 12, 2003.

1. Jusmowin

Jusmowin LawnSite Senior Member

Realy simple question! how many blades does the 36 super surfer have??? Thanks for the help as I am looking to buy one maybe this year.

2. Bill Baltzer

Bill Baltzer Great Dane Representative
    from NC

Thanks for your question!! The 36" Super Surfer has 3 blades.

3. Jusmowin

Thanks for the reply, 3 blades is a lot for a 36 inch deck isnt it ? Not saying its a bad idea but wouldnt 2 blades do just fine? Is there a theory behind the 3 blade system? Could you please explain this system to me? Im not trying to be a pain, but Im not getting much help from the dealer.

4. Turf Dancer

Turf Dancer LawnSite Senior Member

I had a few questions also about the 36" Super Surfer and I had the opportunity to demo one in June of 2001 as well as a 52" and a 36" Scamper. I wanted to know about blade tip speed and the quality of cut. So I sent an email to Great Dane
    There responce was that the blade tip speed would be about the same and as far as quality of cut well I did not ask that question so I recieved no answer !

I did ask my dealer rep about the 3 short blades vs. 2 like the scamper 36" and he said he had no real idea. My feeling is that if you had longer blades say like 2 18.5" instead of the short blades which I believe are around 12.5" it would add at least 6" to the overall length of the machine. I think that would compromise some manuverability in tight places ! I think there must be some truth to the story about the three blades not be much slower than the larger machines with longer blades! I do hope that the machines overall cut quality is good because I am seriously looking at this machine! I am getting into commercial accounts and the areas of turf are larger and this would help me out alot seeing how I only use 21" machines now!

When I had the demo here for the day I used all three machines and was impressed with how easy it was to figure out the controls on the Super Surfers ! It was difficult to tell how the cut was because the rain was coming down in buckets and the ground was a mess!

I would like to let Mr Baltzer know that I express a great amount of gratitude to the Great Dane Dealer in Portland OR, Stark Street Lawn and Garden . When I couldn't get any dealers to help me find equipment to suit my business needs, Roger Campbell from Stark Street loaded up his 36 and 52 Super Surfers and a 36" Scamper and drove the 210 miles here to Pendleton to let me have the opportunity to test these machines! That is Customer Service at its best ! I am not a Million Dollar Company ! I am a small 1 man show! I have to see that every dollar I spend on my business is spend on quality equipment. There is not much room for error in purchases that don't hold up or suit my needs !

Thanks for having a quality dealer that is willing to spend a little time on the little guy! I will go to them first due to the dedication they have shown me !

5. Bill Baltzer

from NC

Great question. I will try to answer both responses in one reply. There is nothing wrong with a 2 or 3 bladed 36" machine. Our goal at Great Dane was to build the shortest machine front to back and side to side as possible. This is a very specific in-use machine, i.e. narrow mowing conditions such as parking lot medians, and gated back yards, just to name a few. This machine was designed for postage stamp type applications, not wide area mowing.

In terms of blade tip speed and quality of cut, we fall slightly under the ANSI maximum of 19,000 feet per minute, and have a fantastic quality of cut.

Attached is a picture of the 36" Super Surfer.

Thanks

0082173ss36front_qt.jpg

6. Jusmowin

Thanks for the reply and it makes total sence to me. Yes, that sure is a narrow mower but could you please post a side and rear veiw of that same 36 ss as I would like to try and tow a cyclone rake behind one, but need too see if there is a place to put a tow plate on! Thanks for any help.

7. Bill Baltzer

from NC

Attached are additional pictures.

36 ss rear0082174_qt.jpg

8. Bill Baltzer

from NC

Attached is a side view.

0082172ss36side_qt.jpg

9. Jusmowin

Thanks for the pics, this gives me a general idea of what I have too work with?

10. Bill Baltzer

from NC

You're welcome!! Good Luck and thank you for your interest in Great Dane.