36" Toro belt drive wheel belts slipping

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by sensor419, Oct 28, 2006.

1. sensor419

sensor419 LawnSite Member

The wheel drive belts on my 2005 36" Toro walkbehind seem to be slipping. I moved the springs to the tightest position but the belts are still slipping, especially when using the left hand brake (mower wants to slow or stop when applying the left brake). If I turn left going up even a small hill the mower stops even after releasing the brake lever. The pulleys are spinning but the belts aren't moving. The mower tracks straight when no braking is applied. Am I diagnosing this properly? If so how can I fix it? Belt dressing since I have already tightened the springs? Other solution? This is happening in dry conditions, belts and pulleys look clean - usual dust, and the mower is only 3 months old with about 70-80 hours of use. I'd appreciate your help on this.
  2. sensor419

Any help out there?
  3. sensor419

Need help!!
  4. A.D Services

A.D Services LawnSite Member

you might get some help if you post this in the repair section
  5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Hmmm, If this unit is only 3 mos. old I would suggest taking it back to the dealer and let them deal with it. I would not use belt dressing in this application....
  6. ProLawns

ProLawns LawnSite Senior Member

If the T-bar control is touching the stationary bar when you're going forward then the belt tension is too loose. Tighten the belt. The older Toro's have a wingnut adjustment that has to be adjusted about three turns every month or so.