1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

36" TORO has difficulty up hills

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DAZ982500, May 9, 2006.

1. DAZ982500

DAZ982500 LawnSite Member

I just purchased a 36" gear driven wb.I have noticed that it has a real difficult time climbing small inclines that should"nt be that difficult.It has a 15 kohler in it and is new.Do I need to adjust something any ideas would be helpful.Dave
  2. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Check the operators manual, You might have to make an adjustment to the drive belts. If the manual does not tell you anything, call the dealer you purchased it from.
  3. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

if its used, it may just need new belts. if its new, you need to do what J&R Landscaping suggests.
  4. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

as was previously stated:

1)--if new, return to dealer, he will fix.

2)--if used, first check/adjust belt tension from engine shaft to tranny drive. it might be a good idea to replace that belt now if worn.

3)--if used, and engine to tranny belt tension is good, check/adjust tension on tranny jack shaft to rear tire belts. replace belts if in questionable condition.

NOW HERE IS THE KICKER...(4)--if the machine is well used, you may need to replace the jackshaft drive pulleys. those things wear through the years and you cannot see the wear!

if the jackshaft pulley is worn, you can keep replacing the drive belts but they also wear pre-maturely and with the worn jackshaft pulley, you haven't addressed the problem.

let us know how it goes for you.

GEO :)