1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

36" Toro Hydro Floating T-bar Or 36" Exmark Hydro Floating Pistol grip

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Greenhaul lawn pro, Mar 8, 2005.

1. Greenhaul lawn pro

Greenhaul lawn pro LawnSite Member

I'm just about to purchase my first mid size mower, and I need some help as too what one I should go with... I have used the T-bar before and I liked it alot, but now exmark which is pretty much Toro has the new pistol grip.
    The Exmarks is a bit cheaper with some upgrades from the Toro.
    I just don't know what to go with.....
    Help me out guys... Will ya...
  2. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

The Toro uses different controls, different deck, different carrier frame, different hydraulic set-up. The Toro is vastly outdated and inferior to the eXmark in floating deck, hydro configuration..... I have owned several of both...There is No Comparison.
  3. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I got to demo a toro hydro T-bar at the dealership last week, everyone always told me that the hydro T-bar was very touchy, and I have to agree, but I only used it for 5 -10 minutes.
  4. Greenhaul lawn pro

Greenhaul lawn pro LawnSite Member

Thanks Fareway it sound like you know what your talking about, so unless anyone has any real good reasons why I should stick with Toro, I'm off to grab up that Turf Tracer....
  5. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

the exmark ecs control system is great. I find that the tbar is good for riding a velke, but when you have to walk behind it, it's a little hard to maintain a consistant speed because you have to press the bar to go forward and the controls are always going away from you.
  6. AlpineNaturescapes

AlpineNaturescapes LawnSite Member

IMO save your money on the tracer - get the viking instead. The floating deck on the 36 is overkill. The other one to consider is the Gravely with ProSteer but I doubt they have the dealer network in BC
  7. bayfish

bayfish LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with Fairway...the Toro is not as good as the Exmark, especially the deck. The SFS deck does not cut that well and the exmark deck is much deeper.
  8. David Grass

David Grass LawnSite Senior Member

T bar was invented when we only had belt drives on walk behinds, and it is the best system for belts out there, in fact, I would recommend a Toro with belt drive and T bar over anything out there, except for the Hydro Hustler H bar (the best, and you get 8 mph!!!): It may just be my style, but I CANNOT use anything all day long where you are HAND CUFFED into one position. With T bar, I can walk beside the machine for awhile, with ONE HAND doing all operations, switch to just the other hand, put both hands on each side , put em in the middle, etc. With the belt drive, I NEVER used reverse as the mower will just FLOAT back to you on a slope when you slightly release (cuz no damn Hydro, so it is just free) and when it gets back into a position you like, you just push a bit and your off. Oh, sorry, I used reverse to load on the trailer, but thats it.
  9. David Grass

David Grass LawnSite Senior Member

PS with a 36, you just dont need a Hydro, that Toro is so light with belt drive you can pull it back to you with no effort for quick reverse (it has reverse of course, I just never used it except for loading). The belts last a long long long time, and much cheaper to service than a Hydro.
  10. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

All I can say about pistol grip is carpal tunnel syndrome.

If you have never run a pistol grip, demo one, they are NOT intuitive. Not even close.