36" toro pro line

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by IowaLawnEnforcement, Jan 4, 2007.

1. IowaLawnEnforcement

IowaLawnEnforcement LawnSite Member

Well I baught a toro proline hydro and got it home and started playing around with it and cant seem to get it to go in a strait line. one wheel seems to be turning faster than the other. is it the adjustment on the hydro or could it be linkage. Has anyone else had this issue. If so tell me how to remedy the problem.

2. lucforce

lucforce LawnSite Member

New? Used? Did you check the tire pressures?
  3. IowaLawnEnforcement

used and tires are equal in pressure.
  4. lucforce

lucforce LawnSite Member

Make sure that the "dump" valves are closing all of the way first. Ensure that the fluid is filled to the proper level. Ensure that your handle bars and linkage are not loose or bent. THEN begin adjusting the linkage for the drive.
  5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Don't forget belt condition and proper tension.
  6. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

I asked my dealer about this and he said even the new hydro's have this problem but is limited to mowing on hills. According to him he said it has to do with the flow which can be adjusted on the pump. He told me that on level ground the hydros work fine but if your mowing alot of hills and your mowing accross instead of up and down the tracking will be off and it will be hard to maintain a straight line.
  7. lucforce

lucforce LawnSite Member

I have to disagree. Any machine of any weight (massxgravity) is going to have a hard time maintaining a straight line cutting in the fashion that you described. For safety and for ease of cut you should be cutting up/down the sloped surface anyhow. Gravity is going to pull the machine down the slope when you atempt to cut across the hill and you ill have to fight this steering the machine. This will happen with any machine not just hydros.

Imagine what would happen if you were trying to cut across a hill and caught a slick spot.
  8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I would be very surprised if this machine does not have some time of tracking adjustment. On the Scag units it is a simple process of turning a knob and on the Snappers it is a wrench adjustment. Due to wear in the actuating linkage and other wear these units need to be adjusted frequently.
  9. LCPullman

LCPullman LawnSite Senior Member

Hi, here are Toro's instructions (pdf files) for adjusting the tracking on their hydros. The newer pistol grips have an easy knob you turn. The older T-Bar models have an adjustable connector on one of the control rods.

On my hydros, I rarely have to adjust tracking.

You need to make sure you adjust tracking on a flat relatively smooth surface (pavement).

When you run sideways on a hill, you have to give the lower wheel more power than the upper wheel inorder to keep the front up the mower up. That is normal on any mower.

Attached Files:

10. IowaLawnEnforcement

Thanks alot I appriciate the info.