36" Toro Walkbehind Mulch Kit

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TheGrassGuy, Nov 19, 2002.

1. TheGrassGuy

TheGrassGuy LawnSite Member

36" Toro Walkbehind Mulch Kit

I have a 36" Toro, gear drive, floating SFS deck, 15 hp Kohler. There is not a kit available for these mowers but it does not look to complicated to make one. Anyone have any experience with this? Any tips or suggestions?

2. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

Hey GrassGuy – I have the same machine and what I did was to take off the discharge hood and cut it up. What I mean is I cut off most of the hood off and then bolted on a piece of expanded metal, just like that used on a tailgate. This expanded metal makes a cover that keeps the grass inside to be mulched up. I keep thinking I’ll take time to make a picture, but I keep forgetting, maybe I’ll do it soon and post it so you can see. It still has the hinge, so I can use it down to mulch, or flip it up to side-discharge.

3. TheGrassGuy

I was really wondering about making up the baffles to bolt under the deck. Do these make much more of a difference compared to just closing the discharge?

4. branhamt

branhamt LawnSite Member

I have the discharge chute blocked off so that I can mulch with my Proline 36 and have had poor results. By seeing your question I hope this helps both of us.

5. ScotLawn

ScotLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I don't have this mower but can say that yes having individual baffels will make a differance. with them it allows each blade to recut the clippings instead of shooting them to the discharge side and having the last blade do all the work. Just having the block off plate will leave grass stripes on the discharge side when it comes to thick grass. a true mulch kit will not leave as much of a stripe

6. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I think Toro offers a 36" Recycler deck and that's probably why they do not have a kit for the 36" SFS deck. I think having each individual blade baffled off helps in the mulching process. Good luck.

7. TheGrassGuy

I guess high lifts would also be required to get the vacuum. I will wait a while on the "kickers" though.

8. TheGrassGuy

I have been looking at the baffles with an Exmark mulch kit. Each blade is completely enclosed where the Toro only partially circles the blade. If I am going to make this which way do you think would be best?

Thanks,
    Dave

9. DBALLARD

DBALLARD LawnSite Member

I have a Toro 36" fixed deck Proline. I bought a mulch kit for it and have tried it with the baffles in and with just the shoot blocked. You will definately need the baffles. Now with the leaves on the ground you can really see where it leaves a strip of clippings if your not using the baffles. The kit I have does completly surround each blade.

10. ScotLawn

ScotLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Grassguy,

High lift blades and mulch kits are ok but do not get full use of the mulching capablilities. either run a gator blade or mulch blade with the kit. For leaves, run a gator it tends to chop up smaller than a mulch blade. Do not run doubles with the mulch kit. It does something to the air flow and you will get alot of blow out.

Scot