36" Tow Behind Tillers, any good?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by LegienzaLandscaping, Mar 21, 2006.

1. LegienzaLandscaping

LegienzaLandscaping LawnSite Member
    from CT

This is my second year in business, and I need a rototiller. I am supposed to look at a 1980 wheelhorse lawn tractor with a large tiller attachment, plow ( probably for snow = useless) mower and grass bagger. It has an 11 hp motor that isnt running, however I can proably get it running. The price is $200. and besides the motor it is supposed to be in decent shape. I like the price, but Im not so big on buying a "lawn tractor" that im going to have to store, and work on, when it might not even work that great, but then again it could have other uses. Any input on how these tillers work, and opinions on the tractor being useful, or a waste of time and space would be appreciated. Thanks, -Nick

2. broman

broman LawnSite Member
    from ohio

do have a direction on how to install a tiller on the wheelhorse? as i have miss place mine :(

3. TAZ

TAZ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I had one on a 314-8 wheelhorse. They work good on garden type stuff that has been tilled in the recent past but they in no way compare to PTO driven 3pt. unit for the compact and smaller tractors for busting up the hard stuff.... The end product takes more passes to get stuff broken up as fine as you do with a PTO 3pt unit. the 11hp might also slow you down bit with it.

That aside if it's in good shape a nicely built small very durable tractor has allot of other uses like towing aerators, lawn carts etc.....

-TAZ

4. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

I had a mid 1960's 753 with a 48" blade and a 7hp engine. with chains on it did just fine in the snow...

5. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

We pull a 4' tiller from the PTO on a Kabota Diesel. Don't want to discourage you but there's a lot of torgue needed to run a tiller properly especially in new ground. A tiller on a mower with your weight would be too much for 11HP.