36 TTHP blade idler pulley bounce.

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by dishboy, May 27, 2004.

1. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Terry,
    I have a 03 36in [bought one month ago] TTHP that with the blades engaged the blade belt will oscillate or flex and the idler pulley is bounciing or oscillating in and out. This is exaggerated greatly as you pull the throttle back [up tp 1/2in bounce]

I took it in yesterday and the dealer mechanic changed the stationary idler pulley [ bearing was loose as if worn] and put a cone type washer under the idler arm bushing to take up the play. This removed some of the play but not all.

His repair improved these symptoms but he was unable to eliminate them. We looked at a new 04 TTHP36 that was just set up and the problem was idenitcal to mine before his attempting to repair.

I am very concerned as I can see this causing premature wear on all parts concerned when this machine goes off warranty. You can feel vibration through the whole machine. The mechanic did his best to resolve my issue and in his opinion my problem is not normal and he would suspect worn parts it if it was another machine that came in . I needed the machine and he had to go so we left it for the time being.

I would appreciate your ideas.

Tom

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Tom,

You will always have some degree of oscillating on the tensioning idlers. It can be exaggerated by a bent pulley, belt with a high or low spot, engine vibration, imbalance blades and in the case of the TTHP an improperly adjusted PTO belt as well.

The PTO belt on a new TTHP should be adjusted probably twice in the first 8 hours of use and once per day for the first few days if required. I've seen a few of these where the PTO adjustment is overlooked and the pulleys can then create a wear spot on the belt due to slippage.

More than likely what youÂ’re seeing however is normal.

Thanks

Terry

3. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Terry,

The condition and amount of oscillation when I brought my mower in the opinon of my Exmark dealers mechanic is not a normal condition and after he switched out the pulley he was not satisfied that he had remedied the "bounce", nor am I. Even with the cone washer [a Honda blade lock washer]he installed the idler arm bushing still has slop in it, hardly something would expect from a new machine. I pull the throttle back to empty my bag and I feel the vibration in the handle bars.

Concerning the PTO ajustment I adjusted at two hours and six hours and have not had to adjust since. I did notice that the PTO pulley that drives the belt appears to not be totally true so I guess I need to drag this thing back to the dealer for further inspection. IMO this machine should not have this kind of oscillation unless something is amiss, be it belt, pulley or idler arm slop. My question is did the vibration hammer the idler pulley that was swapped out or did it get installed and shipped that way. Either way I am not very encouraged.

Thank you
    Tom

4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor