36' TTHP vs 34z gravely

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by True Harbor, Jul 31, 2005.

1. True Harbor

True Harbor LawnSite Member

I was definitely going to get the exmark 36' TTHP but now I'm thinking the gravely 34z might be more productive? I'll be doing mostly small to medium size lots without a lot of hills since I'm in Fl. Some of my accounts may be close to a pond though. For trimming I already have a 26' snapper. Anyways some helpful input would be appreciated

2. SouthernYankee

SouthernYankee LawnSite Senior Member

I was in the same exact positon that you were a few months ago. Much like Florida, Texas has a lot of small gates, with big backyards. I was stuck between getting an exmark 36 or the Gravely 34"ztr. I just bought the gravely last week and I am so happy that I went with it over the hydro exmark. I can actually fit through 36" gates, and I can cut large backyards very fast.

I priced both machines out and the gravely was like 200 more than the exmark. What it came down to for me, is that I can ride instead of walking and mow really fast compared to a wb. Also that 15 kawi, is plenty of power even in St.Augstine which is all that we have in Houston. Just PM me if you have anyother questions.

3. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

A year or so ago I brought home the 34z for a weekend to give it a test drive. Had I been able to get a decent tradein value for my 36" Exmark hydro, I would have bought the 34z in a heartbeat. Great little mower.

I think the 34z will generate greater income for you over the long haul. Re: steep slopes, the 34 does not like them because it has a narrow footprint with a higher center of gravity. Just dont take on any new accounts with steep slopes.

I think the greatest benefit of the 34z, is the fact you can get gated lawns done so fast and therefore be able to win those bids where you are going after an account that lowballers are bidding on and still make a good hourly revenue.

It is still quite possible I will be buying the 34 in the next year or so as I have a few accounts with gated yards and this thing would get them done in literally, minutes.

See if your dealer will let you demo one for at least a day.

4. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Do you have a wright dealer nearby. After demoing the gravely ,try the sentar sport 36.
    John