36" turf tracer or new hydro gravely 36

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AuburnGuy, Feb 20, 2006.

1. AuburnGuy

AuburnGuy LawnSite Senior Member

I will be adding another 36" mower this year. I was looking at these two mowers. the gravely seems good, but it is not a floating deck. Anyone have any opinions on either, besides "exmark is the best". I like the gravely dealer better and it's about $1000 cheaper with for the hydro model. Thanks for the input.

2. mhaysmow

mhaysmow LawnSite Member

i just bought a 36 inch gravely i think there a great mower cant beat them for the price exmark are nice but you pay for that name too. the deck is not floating but in my mind it does have one of the best adjustment systems there is .... good luck with what you go with

3. Jake's Lawn Service

Jake's Lawn Service LawnSite Member

Exmark has great service and they will get you parts if you need them in 24 hours or less. The ECS is better on the wrists than pistol grips. I would get the TTHP.
    Jake

4. mowingtowing

mowingtowing LawnSite Member

I just bought a 36" mower, first it was a 36" exmark viking (non floating deck hydro) then when i got home i changed my mind, called the dealer and he exchanged it (with more money of corse) for a 36" exmark Turf tracer HP 15hp. I figured the rest of my exmarks are floating decks (2 60" turf tracers with 23hp) why not keep it that way. The reason i upgraded was because i wanted instant, easy, even cutting height adjustment.
    Ive always had exmarks, therefore i stay with exmarks...

5. AuburnGuy

The new gravelys also come with controls that are very similar to a Z. I won't do pistol grips.

6. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

Is it $1K cheaper than the ExM floating deck or fixed deck? And I recommend the ExM for best cut and comfort.

7. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 36" Gravely hydro walk-behind. It is a great machine. I bought one with Pro-Steer which would be the equivalent to the ECS of Exmark. I've had no problems with mine and it's a solidly built machine. I like the 8.5 MPH ground speed, it is nice to go that fast when you can. The J-pin height adjustment is very quick and easy, and I also think that the heigh adjustment is the best out there. I don't think a floating deck on a 36" mower will make much difference in cut quality or in the amount of scalping. I do think, however, that the Exmark will give a slightly better cut.

8. old dog 80

old dog 80 LawnSite Member

The only reason I can see for getting a turf-tracer in a 36 is same adjusting.
    You don't need a floating deck on a 36 because the wheels track as wide
    as the deck which virtually eliminates scalping you might have in wider decks.
    ECS is definitly worth it,turf tracer in 36 is a waste.You can set heights
    even with others-read the manuel.

9. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

I used to think floating decks were a rip-off, but I found out otherwise when I switched back to one LOL. Scalping isn't a problem, but it IS nice to have a floater for deck adjustment, even if it's just a couple times a year.

10. AuburnGuy

The $1000 difference is the for a floating exmark and a fixed gravely.