1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

36" vs 48" at the end of the day?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Apr 11, 2006.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i'm thinking of using only 36" mowers from now on, i feel the 48" may be obsolete. help me figure out if it is. ok, properties around 3-4 k. not wide open grass, mind you, but there are islands, trees, fences, etc. now, i know the 48" gives you 12" more of cutting deck, but, does that really make a big difference on these size properties? as it is now, i carry a 36" + 48", or, a 32" + 48'". the 48" for wide open properties, and the smaller machine for smaller properties + gates. could it really make that much of a difference, that extra 12" of deck? i'm wondering. i'd like to eliminate the need for the 48" if possible. can someone figure out, under these circumstances, if it will matter that much at the end of the day- say we do 22 properties a day. on 8 of these, the 48" is used, on the other 14, the 48" is obsolete do to very small yards, obsticles, or gates. if i eliminate the 48" altogether, how much of a difference would it make?
  2. PGA

PGA LawnSite Senior Member

On small yards like you said it might take an extra 2 or 3 minutes top to do the yards.
  3. Thirdpete

Thirdpete LawnSite Member
    from Chicago

it would probably be faster, considering there won't be times where you have to go super slow through areas because of the size of the mower, and you wont have to do as many three point turns with the big mower becuase you'll have room to turn around.
  4. Rev. Crabgrass

Rev. Crabgrass LawnSite Member

I still think 36 and 60 inch mowers are the only ones to have. Sometimes a 48 is a little much like bobby said. If you have to turn alot a 36 may actually speed things up.

5. PGA

PGA LawnSite Senior Member

I can get my 48 in 99% of my backyards that I couldnt even get a 52 in. Im keeping my 48 :)
  6. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

dude--have you ever used a lawn mower?

GEO :dizzy:
  7. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

You're so eloquent Mr. Geo. :waving:
    the 36 is good for certain situations, but other times it's like spinning wheels.
  8. Thirdpete

Thirdpete LawnSite Member
    from Chicago

actually, geo, i haven't used a lawnmower. ever. that's why i post here.

there are places where a 36 would be nice, where there just isn't enough clearance to get a 48 in there without backing it up and making another pass (like behind garages and between trees) where a 36 would be just fine. and on a small lot, 3-4k of total turf, i don't think a 36 is bad at all.
  9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

If trailer space or room in the bed of a pickup is an issue, leave it home. If not, I would take it with me.
  10. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Bobby - your size lawns do not require two mowers in my opinion - 36" would do fine, probably only cost you 10 minutes a day, What would you want to have an extra mower, larger trailer, etc. for????