36" vs. 48" walk behind

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tracker, Aug 13, 2001.

1. Tracker

Tracker LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

I typically mow residential lawns that are no larger than 1/2 to 3/4 acre and gates are not an issue. Would you recommend a 36" or 48" walk behind? What are the advantages or disadvantages of each - - - other than the obvious width difference? Thanks for your input.

2. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

Whats that saying, "wider is better" ? If gates are not a
    problem,I would definetly go with the 48 in, for the increased stability on hills, also on 3/4 acre lots you will notice better productivity with it.

3. Double D

Double D LawnSite Member

If the lots are mostly level go with the bigger unit. If there is a good bit of slope to some of the lots, you may want to consider the smaller unit.

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

GET THE 48"!!!! Productivity is greatly increased over the 36". You will also get a smoother cut over the entire surface. The wider the cut, the more natural and level it looks. If I never had to worry about any gates, I would sell the 36" tomorrow. They are great mowers, but the time you loose is huge over other sizes.

5. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

like said before. if the gates arent a problem i think 48 inches is the only way to go. maybe you even should consider a 52 inch.

6. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

Go with the 48 or larger. Not only will you have a better or higher HP option, but your productivity will go up as well. Which means more lawns in less time. By the way, what machines are you looking at, and have you demo'd the Hustler walkbehind? Really cool machine. I'll have mine soon!

7. Tracker

Tracker LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

I'm mainly considering Exmark . I would like to look at Hustler but there are no dealers within reasonable distance. Any others that I should consider? How is the Scag WB ? - - - there are some complaints about their riders in this forum.

8. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

If you are starting out I'de strongly recommens a 36' WB. It does the job well. If you have lots of fenced in back yards then it is a must. Getting a well known manf. is important for resale when your business demands it. As soon as you can cost justify it get either a Wright Stander or a Snapper ZTR (of course this depends on the strength of the local dealership).

Cordially,
    Sheppard

9. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

Sheppard......I'm not going to rip on Snapper mowers in general, but in this forum I think the general thought on snappers ZTR's is not that good. I DONT have any experiece with the ZTR's made by them, but I have used other mowers by Snapper and they haven't been what I would call commercial.

Anyways...if your local dealer sells Exmark then that is great. Exmark is a brand known by many to hold up to the toughest conditions and still give a great cut. If that dealer is close....distance should be an issue for service and everything else....then go with a 48"Exmark. I have one and love it....although my new Lazer is easier to drive and more fun, the Exmark walkbehind is a great choice.

10. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

Dear Espy, thanks for the comment. I'd get an Exmark too if the dealership here did not have such a bad reputation. Of all the dealerships in the Tallahassee area, the Snapper is the most stable and has the best bargain- they are definitley customer focussed. My first recommendation was a 'Stander'. Have read the negative comments some weeks back on Snapper- ot prompted all the loyal Snapper users to chime in and come to its defense. Did a search and was plesantly surprized at the comments on Snapper. Don't get me wrong, everything being equal I'd pick 2 or 3 other manufacturers over Snapper.

Cordially,
    Sheppard