1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

36" vs. 48" WB

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PWM, Nov 5, 2001.

1. PWM

PWM President, Hustler Turf Equipment

What are the reasons that you would buy a 36" WB when a 48" WB is twice as productive? Please list in order of importance and thanks in advance for the help.

2. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

1 gates
    2. more space on trailer or in gargage
    I got the 36 i wish i got the 48
  3. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are a small operator, get the 48" I started seven years ago with the 48". You can just decline the gated yards or sweat them out with a push mower.

When the 48 got worn out, I replaced it with a new JD HD75 54" hydro and a "cheap" JD GS30 36 belt drive. The 54" goes everywhere the 48 did and is way more productive than the 48. And, the 36 is great on gated yards and a few other areas.

Result: that was 3 years ago. Today, the 54" has about 700 hours and the 36" has about 150 hours. The 36 is still like new, and is very rugged. I feel I made the right decision.

Now, we have no 48's. In order from smallest to biggest: Push mower, 36" WB, 54" WB, 60" ZTR, 72" ZTR.

4. jdwilliams1

jdwilliams1 LawnSite Member

48" is the way to go, very few gates would not permit one through. 36" waste of money. I operate an Exmark Hydro ECS 48" and have yet to be kept out of a back yard. Take our advice on this one!
  5. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

I own both. i find that my 36 and a buddy's 32 cut better than my 48. the cut is cleaner due to the twin blade design i feel. i think that it is easier for one person to take off the blades on a 36 rather than on a 48. the 48 will scalp in some places that the 36 will not. i also find due to having 3 blades there is much more blowout from the front of the mower. this makes mulching and leaf work more difficult while mowing. my 36 has about 275 hrs on it now and it has doubleson it and still has less blowout. my lesco 48(which may not be the best 48 which would result in my negativity of the 48 inch mowers) has less than 25 hours on it. the 36 fits in some gates the 48 wont and weighs less which is easier on soft grass and wet lawns. i like my toro 36 fixed better than my 48.
  6. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i think gates are the major factor. you can either turn down the ones with gates, or buy the 36 incher and be a little less productive. i say go with the 48 inch.
  7. PWM

PWM President, Hustler Turf Equipment

I appreciate your input. If it was possible to get a 48" WB through a 36" gate are there any other reasons that a 36" WB would be necessary?
  8. Double D

Double D LawnSite Member

36" mowers have their place. Almost every trailer in Memphis has a 36" or 37" mower on them. Wonder why? If you are just getting started you can not afford to have to turn away business because your mower won't fit in the yard. Get started with the 36" and get yourself a bigger wb or ztr as you expand.
    My 2 cents anyway. Luck to You
  9. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I own a 36" Exmark Viking hydro and a 48" Viking hydro. The 48" is my main mower and my 36" is used only as a backup. It sits in my gated backyard until it is needed. Probally not the best choice but I bought the 36" in new condition with very low hrs for $2300.00 and at the time it seemed like a good idea. I think my next mower will be a 52" Turf Tracer.
  10. Diesel

Diesel LawnSite Member

I have been quite happy withmy 52" deck. But I use a 21" LB on areas with gates. Someday I might add a 36, but my mix of yards favors a 52". Better productivity.