36" w/b: floating or fixed deck

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by win1free, Apr 2, 2004.

1. win1free

win1free LawnSite Member

Is a floating deck really important on a 36" w/b? I was wondering, because of the narrow deck, is scalping a problem with the 36" decks or is scapling only an issue when you get up to 48" and larger decks?

Troy

2. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Scalping is not a issue for a 36 imo, the issue is do the blades and deck angles stay at the place that provide the best cut at all heights.

3. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Troy,

Dishboy is right on the money. The floating deck also gives you simpler and easier height adjustments, belt adjustments and depending upon the model your comparing it to, larger drive tires.

I really like the height adjustment and belt adjustments of a floating deck much better than that of a fixed deck.

Thanks

Terry

4. win1free

win1free LawnSite Member

Terry,

Thanks, this will be my 1st commerical mower and it will be a floating deck, which I thought I needed. Just wanted to make sure for the same reasons stated about height adjustments. I am leaning toward a hydro to make it the complete w/b. The cost becomes an issue with the hydro. I have the money, but being part time with 3 accounts (hope to have 5-6 accounts) should I get the hydro. My 14 year old son will use this mower most of the time while I am edging and trimming. Only maybe 2 yards with some slope to them. I may also get an Lazer HP to cut the in-laws 3 acers. What model do you think compliments the TTHP 36" or Metro HP 36" the best for residential customers? 48" or 52" and what engine?

Troy

5. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Troy,

There really isn't a "bad" engine in the line up. It really comes down to what you prefer.

I like hydros......everybody likes hydros but they do cost more. Look at the properties you'll be cutting and determine if the 48" will fit. As a general rule of thumb you want the biggest mower possible that will still fit on your properties. Keep in mind this will most likely be you "main" mowing machine for some time. I'd go 48" or 52" which ever fits your needs.

That's my thought on it. Remember the added maneuverability of the hydro will pay for itself in increase productivity and a much less tired operator at the end of the day.

Thanks,

Terry