1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

36" W/B mower and trailer purchase

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by SSS 18734, May 30, 2006.

1. SSS 18734

SSS 18734 LawnSite Member

A few questions.... I'm looking for ~36" walk-behind mower to expand my summer mowing business. I found a practically new Gravely W/B, but with trailer, mower, and hitch costs, it looks like i'm going to be paying around $3000 for everything... and i'd like to keep it lower than that.

Today I paid $230 to get a hitch installed on my wagon, and I'm having a lot of trouble finding a 4x6 or 4x8 trailer for cheap... under $300 or so. Ive tried all the classifieds, yellow pages, craigslist, and ebay. Any more ideas on where to look for a cheap trailer? (used is okay)

Also. I found this Exmark walk behind mower on ebay near me. Very little info is given and I don't want to buy a machine with a lot of problems. Should I even consider this one? http://cgi.ebay.com/Exmark-36-walk-...ryZ71272QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks in advance for your help!
  2. 29 Palms Property Management

29 Palms Property Management LawnSite Senior Member

I would not condider that mower on Ebay. If the owner doesn't now anything about it, you're walking into a blind sale. You have no idea if there is anything wrong with it or not. Keep looking.
    Good luck keeping your cost under $3000. That's all I can say is keep looking around. It may take some time.
  3. SSS 18734

ttt! anyone have a clue?
  4. Cahsking

Cahsking LawnSite Member

I would keep my nose in the paper, and maybe a Trading Times if you have one in your city. I have found a couple of good mowers that lawn care guys were selling just because they up graded. I got a JD GS30 36" belt for $900, just because I guy bought a Phazer that could fit through fences. As for a trailer....I would look to spend at least $600. If your only running one mower, and don't plan on getting another anytime in the next year. Try for a tilt trailer, they are lighter, and often less expensive than a gated. Best of luck to you.
  5. Signature Landscaping1

Signature Landscaping1 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Well lets see here, You could buy a 4x8 Snow Bear Trailer from Home Cheapo for about 400 or so, or even Lowes. You can get a 36'' Lesco Belt drive for around $2300. Check out lesco's site for the prices and locations.
  6. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

I think the reason you're getting few responses is simple - you're not going to get much if you want go get a scag/exmark/ferris walk-behind and a trailer for 2500(I'm assuming this is your rough target price, as you said lower than 3K).

Better outdoor products offers 36" walk behinds ranging in price from 1795.00 to 2495.00, brand new. You might want to check them out, www.betteroutdoorproducts.com. I don't know anything about them, but was just about to do some research on this site to see if they're any good.
  7. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

Your not going to get much with that budget. Don't forget the insurance and business cost!!!;)
  8. slebeau20

slebeau20 LawnSite Member
    from USA

Hey there's a store in Blue Springs, Mo. off of 7 highway. (it is a tire store) But, they build trailers, this is where I bought mine. I have a 6 1/2 x 12 and only paid 750 for it.
  9. PJDiesel

PJDiesel LawnSite Member

That 36 looks like a DOG. I paid $600 for one just like that in 1998 with a known service history. That guy should be in the $250.00 range for that mower.
  10. SSS 18734

Any idea what the store is called? Most new 4x8's seem to be around the 600 dollar range. I found one the other day in decent shape for $200 bucks, but the guy sold it about 10 minutes before I arrived! :(