36" walk behind mower, Snapper Pro SW30 vs. Ferris Comfort Drive DD

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Roger, Jan 12, 2014.

1. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I am considering replacing my Exmark Viking, 36" hydro. It has 17 seasons, and perhaps as many as 8,000 service hours. Engine has been replaced one time, one pump replaced, and lots of connections are getting very loose. Terrain and gates dictate the 36" so no need to encourage to buy a larger width.

Under consideration are the two mowers listed above. I have seen the Snapper Pro SW30, 36". I have not laid eyes on the Ferris. I have looked at the details and pictures of both online.

I am looking to confirm my understanding of these two mowers. It appears they are identical (frame, height adjust, wheels, engine, ZT3100 transaxle, deck, controls, etc.). The only difference I can see is the Ferris has an electric start on the Kaw, the Snapper Pro is pull start.

My use of a w/b is part-time, about 300 hours per season. I run solo, and have a JD 48" ZTR that runs over 400 hours per season.

2. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

SW20, right?
    Wow, guessing they truly are pretty much identical on paper. The pics show a more Kaw 'KAI' air-cleaner look on the Ferris. Different muffler on the Snapper. Do you need electric start? (I do for my business, fwiw.)

3. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

Have you priced them?

4. weaver

weaver LawnSite Bronze Member

They're the same mower except for the electric start on the Ferris & I think both owned by Briggs, but really before I would go 5K plus for the Ferris with pistol grips would look for something else. I've seen the Snapper Pro here between 3300 to 4000 & the Ferris 4800 to 5200..

5. echo

echo LawnSite Bronze Member

The Ferris also has the touch grips. When operating(brake off) a hand has to be on a grip or the motor will stall. Only problem really is that with gloves on the sensor does not recognize your hand. There is a lever you can hold back and it will continue to run.

IMO, the easiest and most comfortable wb's to operate. Adjusting the deck is also very easy.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  6. weaver

weaver LawnSite Bronze Member

You like them better than a 36 floating deck with z controls?

7. echo

Yep, super comfortable and the cruise bar is great.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  8. ch4x0r

ch4x0r LawnSite Senior Member

You may want to look into the gravely pro walk also I have the 36h pistol grips hydro full floating deck. I only have 20 hours on it but so far it's easy to handle ..sticks to hills..and is great on fuel as far as I can tell so far. And the cut quality is great!
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks for the responses. weaver has it right. I posted a comment to Ferris, and they called me (within 10 minutes of my posting - impressed!). Yes, the only difference on the machine between SnapperPro SW30 36" and the Ferris Comfort Control DD 36" machine is the starter -- electric on the Ferris, manual on the Snapper. Just for completeness, the air filter is the same on both as well. Pictures on the Ferris web site left open the possibility of a canister filter, but those filters are on the 48", and larger, machines.

I don't know the dealer's price on the Ferris, so cannot speak to the uptick because of electric start.

As for the Gravely, I did check. MSRP for 36" piston grip, $5759, promo price, $5199. At promo, it is about $800 more than SnapperPro. I cannot speak to the hydro drive. The online spec information is very limited. It uses a four-pin hanger arrangement for the deck, similar to Exmark TT. I think it is the same Kaw engine as Snapper/Ferris, including dual element foam/paper cartridge air filter. I'm sorry -- cannot speak to the hydro drive system (e.g. transaxle, pump/motors). I did not inquire about ProSteer, as I want pistol grips. Thanks for the suggestion ch4....

Just for reference and completeness, the Snapper info is not on Snapper.com, rather Snapperpro.com. The first site is primarily devoted to consumer products.

10. echo

If you don't need electric start get the SnapperPro and save a good bit of money. If you do need electric start, get the Ferris.
    Posted via Mobile Device