36" Walk-Behinds

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BryanB, Feb 18, 2001.

1. BryanB

BryanB LawnSite Member

This is my second year mowing lawns. Last year I made the mistake of buying a Troy-Built 33". This year I want a true commercial walk-behind. I dont want to pay the extra maoney for hydro though. My question is what is the best mower to get and why. Thanks

2. Mitchell

Mitchell LawnSite Member

What was wrong w the Troy Built?

3. BryanB

BryanB LawnSite Member

The troy Built is built for a homeowner but marketed as a commercial mower. I used it more then it wasmeant to be used and had troubles with it.. Belts were a problem and so was the selp propelled part. Just wasn't built like I needed.

4. VLM

VLM LawnSite Member

Also, I believe the TB 33" has no propel engage during turns, is that correct? In other words to turn the thing you have to disengage the propel belt and push/pull turn it. Where in Davidsonville do you live? My father in law, Dr. Fred Hodge owns Willow Glen Farm off Governor Br. Rd. Know him?

I have a Bunton 36". It is a great machine, but it's much longer (maybee 12") and a little heavier than it's contemporaries. I would look at Xmark or Bobcat also.

5. BryanB

BryanB LawnSite Member

I live on Riva Road I dont know your father in law but i know Governer's Bridge Road. You dont have to disengage anything but you do just have to turn it like a puh mower. No hand controls like the larger mowers

6. RB

RB LawnSite Senior Member

I recommend an Exmark Metro 36". Great feel and easy (light) enough to turn without turfing a lawn. Bags great too. Great cut. I have a Kaw 12.5 or 13?? cuts everything I've tried, but I don't have a velke on it and I don't know if the engine is strong enough to pull my 200 lbs.

7. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

I beltdrive walkbehind is a very simple mower. MOst commercial brands with hold pretty good even with heavy use. Try a few brands and see with one you are most comfortable using...exmark, toro, bobcat, gravely...there all good! demo them all! ON second thought though, you might as well get a 48inch mower and just keep the 33 troy built for gated yards where the 48 wont fit. The 48inch is not much more money than the 36 and much more productive!

8. BryanB

BryanB LawnSite Member

Do you have the fixed or floating deck. Why ?

9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I have the 36" metro with 12.5 hp kawi. I use a sulky behind it and it does fine. This is a great machine. Cuts great and I always leave the mulching kit on and it handles every thing I do with it.

10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Brian, I am right around the corner from you in Edgewater! I recommend the Exmark Metro 36". I got mine at Kohler Equiptment in Upper Marlboro. If you want to give mine a test drive let me know.

Rich