36" Walkbehind - Employee broke it today

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mikewhit1010, Jul 18, 2008.

1. mikewhit1010

mikewhit1010 LawnSite Senior Member

Just curious if anyone has an idea on what the cost or how extensive the damage is on this thing.

I have a wright 36" walk behind. The crew went out today and guess they didnt notice the oil cap came off on the begining of a lawn. As you know the oil sprays everywhere if you are running it. How they didnt notice it I have no idea. Anyway they found the cap placed it back on and ran it until the wheels wouldnt engage anymore. The blades engage and it will turn on and go in all the gears but the wheels will not start to spin. To me it sounds like they locked up the engine. What do you think and what do you think the price would be to fix it.
  2. mr mow

mr mow LawnSite Senior Member

if the engine runs, then probably not the engine. Is it hydro driven or belt? if its hydro drive, it sounds like its out of hydro fluid
  3. mikewhit1010

mikewhit1010 LawnSite Senior Member

It is belt driven. See I thought the same thing but I am not anywhere near that mower ( I am out of town) and the guy at my shop thinks that is what it could be. maybe bearings or something got locked.
  4. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

If the engine starts and runs....it IS NOT locked up. If it was seized, you wouldn't be able to pull the cord.
  5. MileHigh

MileHigh LawnSite Silver Member

At least 10 grand...
  6. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

If the starter cord can be pulled, its prolly not seized. I'm guessing it has a 15hp kawasaki engine on it??
  7. tedfrk

tedfrk LawnSite Member

i am by no means an expert but there are usually more then one belt,if there was oil all over the place maybe it got on the belt that drives the wheels
  8. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

It sounds like oil is on the drive belts and there just slipping in the pullies. A Little simple green and a hose will clean everything off. It still may have some (or worse) engine damage.
  9. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

my buddys scag wouldnt run in the rain wet belts can have that effect on things i can only imagine nice motor oil would slick things down quick
  10. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

There's no way we can tell you what a shop will charge for an undiagnosed problem but, if it were me I think it might cost a couple of jobs. Tony