36" walkbehind: Gravely or Ferris?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by newtex, May 18, 2007.

1. newtex

newtex LawnSite Member

I am going to sell my 36 " belt-drive Gravely and go with a 36" hydro. My options for dealers are Gravely and Ferris. My belt-drive Gravely has an awesome cut, but it can't handle the hills I mow. Any advice is appreciated.

2. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Be sure you are comparing apples to apples when you look at the hydro. 36" machines from those two manufacturers. I believe the Ferris 36 hydro only has one hydro pump and wheel motor. so you have to manhandle it in turns and on hills. The Gravely has the standard arraingement of a pump and wheel motor on each side.

3. newtex

newtex LawnSite Member

How much would I spend buying the Gravely hydro? I believe that it is now a 34", or can you still get it in the 36"? The Ferris dealer quoted me $3750 out the door.

4. Mowingman

from Texas

I will check pricing at the shop and get back to you on that.

5. Mowingman

from Texas

The Gravely twin hydro. machine in a 36" deck size, with standard pistol grip controls is $3999.00 at our shop, plus tax. List is about $500.00 over our price.
    The same machine with the Prosteer controls sells for $4250.00 in our shop. Again, list is about $500.00 over our price.
    As I mentioned, the Gravely has twin hydros., while the Ferris has a single hydro and has to be manhandled through turns and along hillsides.

6. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Demo both!!! i bet you buy the gravely.

7. Aquastone Landscaping LLC

Aquastone Landscaping LLC LawnSite Member

I got quoted 3,200 for the Ferris 36" Hydro, they are a high about $500

8. Neil M

Neil M LawnSite Member

I just bought a Ferris 36 hydro for $2799.00. It handles nice and has a great cut.